Author Topic: 1851 census Confusion  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census Confusion
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 01:35 BST (UK) »
Yes you're right - there appears to be no marriages for any one of the "couples" on this part of the census.

I wonder if the enumerator simply mixed up some of his records. On the original he'd written "Turtill" against the elder Harriet, then rubbed that out and written "Do" .

As to the birth certificate of Mary Ann, I wonder if Mr Howell was named as the father on it?
John

In this era a birth cert didn't have a place for the surname of the child.The only surname recorded was that of the father.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
I'm a little confused with the following 1851 census

7 Windsor Terrace, Mile End Old Town  Tower Hamlets

William Page   Head             Marr   37   Rug Weaver   Born: Ratcliff Essex
Harriett   Do   Wife             Marr   60   Home           Born: Hampshire Weller?
Frederick Turtill   Son In Law  Marr   34   Public Writer   Born: Brighton Sussex
Harriet      Do   Wife             Unmar   24   Home           Born: Middlesex Bromley
Mary Ann  Do   Dau             Unmar   7mo   Home           Born: Middlesex Stepney
------
William Page Head
Harriett Page Wife
Frederick Turtill Son in Law
Harriet Turtill Wife of Frederick or daughter of William
MaryAnn Turtill Daughter of Frederick or grand daughter of William

How i would read it!
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, but if there is no father on the certificate the birth is indexed under the mother's surname - which in this case would be Howell (since she was married, or possibly widowed)
Maybe Harriet's husband was the father anyway, there's no way of me knowing!
John

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 July 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your insight roderickpaulin although I rather doubt that Harriett2 is the dau of William - he's 37, she's 24.

I would like to find confirmation of the relationships - pref. Marriage cert for Frederick & Harriet as this should show Harriett's surname and hopefully that might connect her to Wm & Harriet Page.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk