Author Topic: Carrington Mental Hospital (Avondale – Auckland - NZ)  (Read 4026 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Carrington Mental Hospital (Avondale – Auckland - NZ)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
The admission register that I have previously accessed for "Auckland Lunatic Asylum" does give each patient a number.  This is supposed to refer to their individual file.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Oooops sorry my link wasn't the right link

I put "Committed patient file" in the keywords search and 3174 individual files came up

YCAA 1026/11    588    Committed patient file - Richard Young    1877 1877    Akld
YCAA 1026/11    590    Committed patient file - Toko Mohiti    1877 1877    Akld
YCAA 1026/11    593    Committed patient file - William Rochford Harvey 1877
1877 Akld
YCAA 1026/12    2784 Committed patient file - Christopher J Condon 190
1902 Akld
YCAA 1026/12    2834Committed patient file - Horace Bach 1903 1904 Akld
YCAA 1026/12    3243 Committed patient file - John Burton    1905 1905 Akld

This shows the gap in the dates,

Cheers Janette

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Janette.  I entered "Committed patient file" as you suggested and then sorted those in date order and the only items I came up with that might be possible still (and this was the one I suppose I was told was incomplete?) was a general file governing 1889 - 1910: https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=699027

Never-the-less I have enquired again with Archive Auckland and await their response.

Sorry for commandeering the thread Fresh Fields  ;D back to you!
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:58 BST (UK) »

Sorry for commandeering the thread Fresh Fields  ;D back to you!
[/quote]

No way,

No need to apologise.

I found the detail in the OFFICIAL Documents very extensive, compared to my Auckland Public hospital look-up, so posted the stand alone Carrington post as an advisory, based upon the ONE file I had looked up. Knew there were others, but have no knowledge as to how complete the record holding is.

I now have recieved a reply from Neil in the UK thanking me for the look - see. Quite touched by the sad saga, and pointing out that Eleanor had lost a baby in the UK, before emigrating. Persumably that and the fresh start on the otherside of the world, proved to be too much for her.

Greatful to now have in his pocession, letters written by John.

Regards,

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
From Janette's reply#10......

I put "Committed patient file" in the keywords search and 3174 individual files came up

I'm probably stating the obvious, but the names of these individuals also appear when typed into "Simple Search" so no need to scroll through 65 pages.   ;D..........

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:36 BST (UK) »

I found the detail in the OFFICIAL Documents very extensive, compared to my Auckland Public hospital look-up, so posted the stand alone Carrington post as an advisory, based upon the ONE file I had looked up. Knew there were others, but have no knowledge as to how complete the record holding is.

As these folk were commited patients it was a legal obligation to cover all bases hence the great details in the files and also all asylum deaths were sent to the coroner.

Cheers Janette