Author Topic: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury  (Read 1974 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I started this post in the Donegal Ireland site. I am looking for any information on My Great Grandmother Margaret Stewart nee Gourley's brother Gerard Gourley. (Spelt various ways) He appears to have lost touch with his family in Donegal.  Another sister living in New Zealand, Ann was looking for him in 1898 while he was living in Australia.  (Victoria, Australia, Police Gazettes, 1855, 1864-1924)  Gerard was married twice and one child known is Mary daughter of his first wife.  Mary was left a share of his will, but she or anyone on her behalf did not get in touch with the administrators of the will. so the Curator proceeded with the will', as though Mary had died before her father.  As it was reported in a Derry Newspaper, Mary would have been living in Ireland.   The newspaper article was written on the 10 December 1910,  9 years after Gerard's death.

Gerard's will in in 'The Victoria Wills & Probate Transcription', that is on Find My Past I got stuck on viewing a copy of the will online.

It says that:
Only some wills and probate records are digitised but records 1841-1925 can be viewed online;

So I should be able to view the record online. The link takes me to the two records below for Gerard Gourley and then I get stuck.   

Gerard GOURLEY Date of grant: 25 Sep 1901; Date of death: 27 Aug 1901; Occupation: Farmer; Residence: Bulla

DIGITISED ITEM   Digitised
DATE:1901
SERIES:Probate and Administration Files
AGENCY:Master of the Supreme Court
CITATION:VPRS 28/ P0  unit 1027,  item 80/450

Gerard GOURLEY Date of grant: 25 Sep 1901; Date of death: 27 Aug 1901; Occupation: Farmer; Residence: Bulla

DIGITISED ITEM   Digitised
DATE:1901
SERIES:Probate and Administration Files
AGENCY:Master of the Supreme Court
CITATION:VPRS 28/ P2  unit 592,  item 80/450

Can someone help me see a copy of the will or death certificate.   Thanks
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
The file is closed.

https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

Probate and Administration Files
Description:    80/450
Date range:    -
Public access:    Closed (s11)
Format:    Physical
This Item is part of
Series number:    VPRS 28
Consignment number:    P0002
Unit number:    592

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article192207113
The Age 8 Oct 1901
INTESTATE ESTATES
Gerard Gourley, Bulla, 27th August,1901. £920/10/7

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70067388
Sunbury News 23 Nov 1901
SATURDAY, 7th DECEMBER.FREEHOLD PROPERTY, AT BULLA
ABBOTT & WILSON have been instructed by the Curator of the Estates of Deceased Persons, in the Estate of the late Gerard Gourley, to Sell at Mrs. Williams' Royal Hotel Yards at 2 o'clock
20 acres of Land, Crown Allotment 84, Township of Bulla, Parish of Bulla Bulla. The above mentioned property is considered to be one of the best blocks of land in the district, having a frontage (right in the bend) to the Deep Creek, well fenced; mostly stone wall; 4-roomed W.B  House and Garden.
Terms at sale.
After the sale of property, they will offer about 100 head of cattle, comprising milkers, springers, store cows, steers, heifers, and bulls ; also sheep and pigs, etc.
Train leaves Spencer-street at 12.15 arriving at Sunbury in time for sale.,
Abbott and Wilson, 427 Bourke-st Melbourne

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70067427
The Sunbury News  14 Dec 1901
LOCAL LAND OFFERED FOR SALE.
Messrs. Abbott and Wilson, offered at public auction at their monthly sale last Saturday at the Royal Hotel sale yards, under instructions from the Curator of the Estates of Deceased Persons, 20 acres of land at Bulla, in the estate of the late Gerard Gourley.
Bidding was fairly brisk until £12 per acre was reached, when it finally got to £18/10, and
as there was no advance on this price the auctioneer stated there was a reserve of £15 on the land and he could not accept the bid. This was Mr. W. Peer's bid, and it generally thought by those present that this was the full value of the land.
The auctioneer said he would submit the offer to the Curator, but we have not heard whether terms were arranged.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70067603
The Sunbury News 22 Feb 1902
The following moneys have been received and paid by the Curator of the Estates of Deceased Persons...............
Gerard Gourley, Bulla, died 28th August, 1901, money received, £408/16/, money paid £77/14/7.

Cando

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking at the records for me.  I have sent an FOI request of to the Public Records Office at Victoria as I was hoping for some additional names of the family to be flagged up.  Apparently S11 is because the documents are fragile.  Do you know if his death on the 28 Aug 1900 was reported in the local newspaper ass it looks like he died in the street.

Thank you so much for all your he
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking at the records for me.  I have sent an FOI request of to the Public Records Office at Victoria as I was hoping for some additional names of the family to be flagged up.  Apparently S11 is because the documents are fragile.  Do you know if his death on the 28 Aug 1900 was reported in the local newspaper ass it looks like he died in the street.

Thank you so much for all your he

Information details about his place of death would be detailed on his death certificate which you can purchase online [AUD$24.50] and immediately download.  His surname is shown as GOULEY on the index.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

I did search for a death notice with no result.

Information on death certificates in Victoria - if known to the informant.
Column headings -
*Description - When and where died; Name and Surname, Rank or Profession and Sex and Age.
*Cause of death, Duration of illness, Medical Attendant by whom certified and When he last saw deceased.
*Name and surname of Father and Mother, if known, with Rank or Profession.
*Signature, Description and Residence of Informant.
*Signature of Deputy Registrar, date and where registered.
*If Burial Registered - When and Where buried, Undertaker by whom certified. Names and    Religion of Minister or Names of Witnesses of Burial.
*Where Born and how long in Australian Colonies, stating which.
*If Deceased was Married - Where and at what age and to whom. Issue in order of birth, their names and ages.

I also searched some of the local cemeteries for his burial with no result.  He may have been buried elsewhere.

If you decide to purchase his death certificate and post his place of burial we can have another search.

According to an entry in a local government Rate Book - Coburg Shire,  on 30 Sep 1896 a Gerard GOURLEY lived at Lot 27 and part of Lot 26, La Rose Park Estate in the suburb of Coburg.  His occupation was carter.  The annual rate was £2 and he was in arrears £1.11.9. Coburg is a suburb of Melbourne.  La Rose Estate was a subdivision.

Cando

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, I wont purchase a death certificate at the moment.  Being a Carter is not the same as a farmer.  I know a number of carters had road accidents in the 1800s could be why he died in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury.  The information I have so far indicates a farmer, presumable could be both to make ends meet.  He seemed to be a man of means, the land he had was of good quality and in a good area.  Although both his first name and second name can be spelt various ways. Thank you so much for all your information.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi apthorpea,

Here is an obit which describes his death from pneumonia  and some details of his life and family (from Sunbury News 31 Aug 1901)
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70067153

Ros

adding:
Obituary --Mr. Garrard Gourley, a resident of Bulla for about 5 years, died on Tuesday from pneumonia. The deceased, who was 67 years of age, had been ailing for several weeks when
Dr. Player advised his removal to Sunbury, but he.was evidently past medical aid for
he gradually sank and expired several days after his arrival. Mr. Gourley, who was possessed of large means, purchased the property of the late Mr. M. Horley, in Bulla and has been residing there for the time stated. Besides property in Bulla he owned house property in Kensington. Deceased died intestate, and we understand has a half-sister, Mrs. M'Carron, residing in Woodend, New
Zealand, but, so far as is known, no relatives in this State.
The funeral will take place at 2 o'clock to-day in the Sunbury cemetery, and the burial service
will be read by the Rev. L. M. Weir.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
This site provides free photographs of headstones for Sunbury Cemetery (and many others)
http://www.ozgenonline.com/~Carols_Headstones/Sunbury.htm

But I cannot see Gourley or Gouley in the list for having a headstone

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland