Author Topic: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury  (Read 1972 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 July 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
I've checked a scan of the original passenger manifest of the CHAMPION OF THE SEAS and Gerald GOURLEY was 25 years, a labourer and of IRISH nationality and contracted to land at Melbourne. 

I always treat transcribed records on subscription only websites with great caution. Many errors.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 July 18 02:08 BST (UK) »
Contact details - information about his burial would be in their Burial Register.

Sunbury Cemetery Trust

Address: PO Box 119, Dallas 3047 VIC

Email: contactus@hume.vic.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 July 18 07:23 BST (UK) »
Being a Carter is not the same as a farmer.  I know a number of carters had road accidents in the 1800s could be why he died in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury

Gerald was a labourer on the passenger list.  Many men would have had different occupations in that era to survive in the Colony of Victoria. 

Dr. Player advised his removal to Sunbury, but he.was evidently past medical aid for
he gradually sank and expired several days after his arrival

This suggests to me that he died in a hospital or place of care which was located in O'Shannessy Street, Sunbury.

Once again the death certificate would answer your queries. 

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 July 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
The newspaper article was written on the 10 December 1910,  9 years after Gerard's death.

The Legal Notice was published on 4 Feb 1911 in the Londonderry Sentinel and notice dated at Melbourne, Vic, Aus 9 Dec 1910.  This Legal Notice was required to be published by an Act of the Parliament of Victoria.

Cando