Author Topic: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury  (Read 1970 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 July 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi  Thanks very much for the information.  It is much appreciated, I thought his half sister was his full sister as she was born before his father's 2nd marriage.   In the 1898 Police Gazette for Victoria Australia, 'it was a Mrs. A. McCarron of Ashley Street, Rangiora, Canterbury in New Zealand seeking the whereabouts of her brother Jerrard Gourley, Irish, about 60 years of age, stout build and pock marked, last heard of 6 years previously living near Melbourne and said to have valuable property'.  It looks like his wife in Australia must have died prior to his death and any children they may have had were no longer alive.  Sad  Thanks Again   
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Gerard/Jerrard Gourley Died 27 Aug 1901 in O'Shannessey Street,Sunbury
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Just adding a few details of a house he owned and which is to be auctioned (from The Age 23 May 1904)

It was at 39 M'Connell St, Kensington Hill, a compact 3 roomed house, with passage, bath and copper and is sewered
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197231928   (5th column)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 July 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information that you have found.  There is an announcement in 1863 in the Victoria Gazette looking for a Geret Gourley, who hadn’t picked up a package from overseas.  Do you know how  far  the  census records go back to in Australia and are they available online as I cant find a record of him either leaving Ireland or England and arriving in Australia.  Thank you once again.
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi apthorpea,
   Most of Australian census records were destroyed to protect privacy etc.  There is a 1856 census for Victoria available but I can't see your man on there.

Can you tell us anything about his "Australian wife"?  When and where they were married?  Or perhaps when his first wife died ..?  Any hints or clues may help us to find out more about him.

I am guessing that you don't know very much about his second wife and that you are waiting for the intestate details from the Victorian Records Office....?   If so then we will wait until you can give us more details ...

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks again I do not know anything about his first or second wife, I know he had a daughter called Mary and as the newspaper article from the wills administrator reported it in the Londonderry, Ireland newspaper I would think Gerrard was of the opinion that his daughter still lived in that area.  I found this on Victoria Inward Passenger List so I believe he lived in Australia since 1862 when he was 25 years of age.  So I presume he married someone after he arrived in Australia.   Hopefully the  intestate details from the Victorian Records Office will let me know more.

copyright image removed

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
A friendly reminder here regarding copy and paste of protected material ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=37822.0

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
Good find apthorpea  :)

Here is Victorian BDM - free to search and can use wildcards https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

I have been searching with wildcards without any success yet ....   

Ros

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Reply#5

Information details about his place of death would be detailed on his death certificate which you can purchase online [AUD$24.50] and immediately download.  His surname is shown as GOULEY on the index.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

There is only one record on my resources [Victorian BDM indexes] for Gerald and that is his death.  He did not marry or father any chn in Victoria. 

His death certificate would hold further information including whether or not he was married, if known by the informant.

Cando

Edit to add info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 July 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
Victorian Government Gazette  Oct 9 1901  Page 3766
http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/
Born Ireland.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk