Author Topic: John McDonald born Inverness shire 1820 & Rose Martin McMullen born Antrim 1827?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline RobynMarion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching my paternal great great grandfather – John McDonald, and hope someone can help me with some information. I have no information from Scotland or when he came out to Australia.  According to his marriage certificate and children birth/death certificates he was born in Inverness/Inverness shire (date unknown). A couple of his children’s birth/death certificates state he was born in Lockaber and either born 1820 or 1821.  He married Rose Martin McMullen (born in Antrim, Ireland) 23/6/1856 in North Grafton, New South Wales, Australia.  I also do not have any information on Rose (apart from the relevant certificates once she was in Australia).

Offline RobynMarion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John McDonald born Inverness shire 1820 & Rose Martin McMullen born Antrim 1827?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 12:19 BST (UK) »

I am a new researcher and new to RootsChat. Just realised I posted in wrong section before.
I am researching my paternal great great grandfather – John McDonald, and hope someone can help me with some information. I have no information from Scotland or when he came out to Australia.  According to his marriage certificate and children birth/death certificates he was born in Inverness/Inverness shire (date unknown). A couple of his children’s birth/death certificates state he was born in Lockaber and either born 1820 or 1821.  He married Rose Martin McMullen (born in Antrim, Ireland) 23/6/1856 in North Grafton, New South Wales, Australia.  I also do not have any information on Rose (apart from the relevant certificates once she was in Australia).

Threads merged.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

Does the marriage state his age & what was his occ?

Are his parents names not on the marriage or at least father's name & occ?

What age was he when he died & when?

Can you name all children in order please as this may be of help with the parentage.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
You want to look in the Parishes of Kilmonivaig and Kilmallie

If you go to https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you will find 4 Mc/MacDonald’s first name John baptised between 1820-1822 two in each parish. 

MACDONALD JOHN  THOMAS MACDONALD/MARGARET CAMERON 21/08/1822 Kilmallie
MACDONALD JOHN  JOHN MACDONALD/KATHARINE CAMERON 15/10/1820 Kilmallie

MACDONALD JOHN  DONALD MAC DONALD MARY KENNEDY 13/05/1822 Kilmonivaig
MCDONALD JOHN   HUGH MC DONALD 15/01/1820 Kilmonivaig

However, there will likely be more; those who were not baptised outside the Church of Scotland or if the 1820-21 guestimate is incorrect.

If John followed the Scottish naming pattern then perhaps his children’s given names might hold some clues but then to prove you have the correct man will be difficult.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Not sure if this helps but much of the clearances of Inverness-shire were early 1850s.

Does his marriage give any clues as to how long he'd been in Aus?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Something else to consider is the witnesses to the marriage.

Do any seem to be related i.e. with Scottish or Irish names which may help?

Annie

Offline RobynMarion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you for your welcome Annie. Hopefully my reply is in the correct spot.

I will answer all your queries with what information I can gather off the certificates I have purchased in Australia.

Marriage certificate does not state his age or occupation - 'Unknown'.
Parents names - 'Unknown'.

His Death Certificate - John died 11/10/1859 in Bolivia, NSW, Australia. Aged 39 years.

Children of marriage -
1st child - John Alexander, born 2/4/1857 at Bolivia, NSW, died 6/2/1932, Bingara, NSW, heart disease.
2nd child - male (no name recorded), born 18/8/1858 at Bolivia, NSW, died 5/9/1858 at Bolivia, NSW, influenza.
3rd child - male (no name recorded on birth certificate, however on death certificate name is St Clair McDonald), born 22/9/1859 at Bolivia, NSW, died 19/1/1860 at Bolivia, NSW, not known.

Rose died 3/12/1859 at Bolivia, NSW, Dropsy. Age - 'Unknown', Informant (Edward Irby) How long been in Australia - 'Unknown', father and mother's maiden name - 'Unknown'.

This family had a sad time - as can be seen by birth and death dates. Only surviving child (John Alexander - my paternal great grandfather) father died when he was 1 1/2 years of age and his mother died when he was 2 1/2 years of age. John was a farm labourer on the property run by Edward Irby at Bolivia, NSW. I can only assume John Alexander was raised by someone on this property.

On John McDonald's death certificate the Informant (Edward Irby) state he had been in Australia for 30 years. The Death certificate states he was 39 years of age when he died so if these figures are correct he must have come out to Australia when he was 9 years of age. One would assume he came out with his parents? I have looked at the Arrivals to Australia around 1929/30 however not knowing his parents names it is difficult to know where to start!

Witness to Marriage were - Alexander Bruce & Maria Olive. Perhaps Alexander Bruce could be Scottish?

Lastly, what do you mean by "Clearances"? I have not heard this term before.

Many thanks, Robyn

Offline RobynMarion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you Don for your input regarding birth of John McDonald. As can be seen in my post in reply to Annie, I don't have much to go on as far as names goes. I will try Scotlandspeople as you suggest and see what I can find out. I have not tried them as yet.

Robyn.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Robyn,

Many people were cleared off farms/crofts etc. 1850s to make way for livestock which would make £ for the Land Owners.

Many immigrants were promised better lives to prosper which wasn't the case although some did make good through hard work/determination/desperation!

Some sad stories I've read over the years.

"Children of marriage -
1st child - John Alexander, born 2/4/1857 at Bolivia, NSW, died 6/2/1932, Bingara, NSW
2nd child - male (no name recorded), born 18/8/1858 at Bolivia, NSW, died 5/9/1858 at Bolivia, NSW
3rd child - male (no name recorded on birth certificate, however on death certificate name is St Clair McDonald), born 22/9/1859 at Bolivia, NSW, died 19/1/1860 at Bolivia, NSW"

Depending on the choice of wife Rose, 1st child may have been named after her husband John with Alexander possibly being the name of John's father? Both are Scottish names i.e. a strong likelihood of the Scottish naming pattern (with a wee twist)?

2nd child most likely to have been named after Rose's father?
Was her father not named on the marriage?

3rd child may give a clue as St. Clair (seems to be) a Scottish name, a variant of Sinclair although I've never researched the name myself?

Annie