Author Topic: Burial for John Towers  (Read 1962 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burial for John Towers
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

John was living in West and East Worldham in the 1730s and 1740s. His wife died in East Worldham in 1779. Can anyone find a burial for John?

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial for John Towers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
If he was living in East and West Worldham 1730-1740 it would appear to rule out this burial
John Towers, age 75, buried 30 Jul 1815, East Worldham

There is also the burial
John Towers, 27 Jun 1770, no age given, place Froyle

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Can any burials be found in Froyle for John's father, William, or his grandfather William? Senior William was christening children in the 1670s, his son in the 1700s. Also looking for any possible christenings for Mary Smith (common name, I know) at St. John's Church, where she married in 1739.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Several burial records of William Towers in Froyle, but no ages given:

9 Aug 1669 - unlikely to be the senior William if he was still having children baptised in 1670s
15 Sep 1733 - possibly, or could be his son
16 Feb 1747- maybe the son
6 Nov 1755 - again maybe the son

Original PRs might help sort out which one might be yours.

Baptism of Mary - large number of possibilities.  Would this query not be better as a separate request since I don't see a connection to the Towers family  :-\  Did I miss something?  I had to look through your other posts to find which St. John's church it was where she married (Winchester, I found) and that post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784006.msg6387656#msg6387656 also indicated that she was resident in Farley Chamberlayne at that time.  There is one at Winchester St John's on 1 May 1711 - father John Smith.  But there is also one at Winchester St Peter in the same year, father Samuel.  Impossible to have any certainty without something else to help tie the generations together.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! And sorry for not specifying the city - must have slipped my mind!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
That document does confuse me. Firstly, why is Henry recorded as William. Secondly, why does it say Winnall and not Winchester. Etc etc. Same time as well.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Adam, may I encourage you, dare I say urge you to study the Genuki site which is a positive mine of information for every county in the UK, including churches, descriptions of parishes, history etc.  You would easily have found that Winnall is now part of Winchester but used to be a separate parish.

Equally even a Google search and the Wikipedia entry would have enlightened you!  ;)  Sometimes there is no mystery.

I have found a transcription of the marriage which indicates that Henry Streater married Mary Smith at Winchester St John on 18 Sep 1739.  I can't comment on the veracity of paco's information since I've no idea where he found it.

Moral of this is to check the original to clear up any errors which can inevitably creep in to transcriptions.   ;)

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is a good idea. For example, the parish of Barnwell was once part of the parish of St. Andrew the Less in Cambridge, so events were often doubly recorded there. So was it a William Streeter who married Mary Smith? In which case the marriage cannot be mine.