Author Topic: Royal Navy Second World War HMS URANIA and VICTORY  (Read 1533 times)

Offline ocraz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy Second World War HMS URANIA and VICTORY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ocraz
The following website gives PFF as being Path Finder Force but how this would apply to the Royal Navy i don't know.
www.ww2f.com/threads/abbreviations-and-acronyms-of-ww2-and-service-records.37304/

leka

Well how strange is that, dad was on destroyers mainly but thank you I will take a look at the website.

Offline ocraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi no expert on the Navy but you might find HMS Victory was not a ship but a training Base.
                                                    Colin.
Hi Colin, thank you so much. I have to say I am not up on the navy either. I know he was at HMS Collingwood for training and it took me months to find out that was a training base lol. I will search under training bases. Thank you again.

Offline ocraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
It appears there was also a ship HMS Victory in WW2,so he may very well have served on it.
                                                 Colin.
Ok well thank you that is also good news. Think I need to research this really well.

Offline ocraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
I’m am no expert on Naval matters, but If it was his last ship i think it was most likely the shore establishment at Portsmouth, now HMS Nelson.

Thank you, I think you may be correct. I will continue researching in the hopes that there may have been another as one of my good friends on here mentions.

Offline ocraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Several photos of Urania crew here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamthomas/sets/72157638173202524/

HMS VICTORY was Royal Navy Barracks, Portsmouth later renamed, I believe, HMS NELSON.

Thank you all this information I am receiving is so helpful. Thanks again.

Offline ocraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.
I would like to thank you all for your comments and help. Having looked on another site, I see a comment saying the ship could be getting confused with HMS Victorious which was in Okinawa 1945 - Japan the same as my dads destroyer URANIA R05.  So still so confused, I am trying to upload a part of my dads Service Record for you all to comment on regarding what the wording for the ship is. It is very feint so could well be the Victorious.

What a wonderful site, I am overwhelmed with the replies I have received so far. Thank you.

Hi I am having problems uploading the part of Service Record. It keeps saying we do not support this format. Can anyone help me. It is a jpeg so not sure why this is happening

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
As his last ship HMS Victory would be logical. All Portsmouth based ratings last posting would be HMS Victory (barracks) for release.  Victory was used in two instances in Portsmouth.  HMS Victory (ship) Nelson's famous flagship, a museum but still a commissioned warship in the dockyard, and HMS Victory (barracks) entrance in Queen Street up the road from the dockyard gates.  Victory barracks was eventually renamed HMS Nelson to avoid confusion but that was after my time in the Service.

C