Author Topic: Twickenham Cemetery  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Maz R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Twickenham Cemetery
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Just wondered if anyone goes to Twickenham Cemetery and could take a couple of grave photos for me.  They are Charles Pearce Section B Grave E13 Class B with his wife and George Pearce Section E row 93.

Many Thanks

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Twickenham Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am near by.  I will go tomorrow lunchtime.

Martin

Offline Maz R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Maz R, I've just got back home. It's been an interesting day. Much of the older part of the cemetery has suffered, probably from vandalism over the years. Many of the headstones are missing or on the ground. I printed the map of the cemetery from the Richmond Council website, and after spending about 40 minutes failing to find either of the two graves that I was looking for, I found a friendly cemetery worker. I told him my problem, and suddenly two more friendly cemetery workers appeared. Within moments one of them disappeared again and returned with some original cemetery plans hand drawn on linen, dating from the late 1800's. These were attached to a pole like having 8 or 10 curtains on one pole. I was astonished to see them. I cringed when he laid them out over the hot bonnet of his van, and even more so when he laid them out on the ground. To cut a long story short he couldn't work out how the references that you have related to his plan. The cemetery staff were very familiar with the plans and the numbering system and must have used the same maps many times. I've taken photographs of what they think could be right, but there is some doubt whether I was even in the right cemetery. I was at the cemetery in Hospital Bridge Road Whitton, which is officially known as Twickenham Cemetery. I wonder if it could have been somewhere else.

The men were wearing black t-shirts and the sun was very bright but they were happy for me to take photographs, but I don't know whether the detail of the charts will be shown. You'd have given several fingers to be there, it was brilliant.

If any of the photographs of the maps are any good I will post them here later today as they will be of interest to anybody.

Could you confirm that what you call Twickenham Cemetery is the one that is in Hospital Bridge Road Whitton, and has a sign saying Twickenham Cemetery outside it. Where did you get the grave location details from?

Martin

Offline Maz R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Martin

I know feel very guilty asking as you had so much trouble but on the other hand jealous as sounds great.  I got the plot references from the web from here https://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrburials/(S(y3143ltjm3aalogktdbvdwnj))/DeceasedDetails.aspx?t=dec&id=293783  Hope this link works as search results.  If not https://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrburials/(S(ghdusliasb4escrr3osny0qw))/Search.aspx is the main site.  As far as which cemetery I have no idea as you will see from here that it just says Twickenham?

Marie-Claire 

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Marie-Claire, don't feel guilty, it was very interesting.  And so hot!!  I am sure that I was in what is definitely 'Twickenham Cemetery', although it is much nearer Whitton, the next town.  I will take the photos off my camera either later or tomorrow morning and send the relevant ones to you, and post a picture of the old maps here as they were amazing.  I took a few that will let you see how dilapidated it has become, despite the valiant efforts of my 'new friends'. 

I will also send you an annotated copy of the cemetery map showing where the staff think the graves were.  the newer parts are much more neatly laid out, in recitilinear designs, rather than 'concentrically' around the perimeter of irregular shaped areas.

Martin

Offline Maz R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

It does sound likely as they were baptized and married in Whitton Church so if it is near Whitton that would make sense.  They are a very hard family to follow and know they have always been in the London area.  An area I know nothing about being born and lived in Guernsey all my life.  They are my grandmother's mothers family.  All rather strange she only meet her half a dozen times and lived with her grandmother in Guernsey all her life.  Even when my Grandmother was evacuated out of Guernsey in WW2 and lived in Bournemouth and Southend and had her children there she never saw her mother.   

Thanks

Marie-Claire

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 July 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to add a photo to this thread, but when I click on 'Attachments and other options', I don't get offered the file upload window.  I could do it in a new message, but I don't want to do that.  Very odd?  Does anyone have a solution?

Martin

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 July 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
I' too have head-scratched over this in the past, Mart. It turns out that photo attachments aren't allowed in Lookup forums to stop people uploading copyright register scans.

Please start a new thread in the parent London & Middlesex forum. I will be interested in seeing the maps as some of my relatives lived in Richmond.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.