Author Topic: A Boarding School in Weston-Super-Mare in the early 20th century  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Elliott3396

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Boarding School in Weston-Super-Mare in the early 20th century
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
I have just learnt that my great grandma used to attend a boarding school in Weston-Super-Mare in the early 20th century. I'd like to find as much information about this as I can. While I do not know the schools name I do know that it was on "South Road". A quick look on google has shown me a school that I believe is very likely to be the one she attended.

The school I have found is called "The Eastern House School". I have found a couple of images of it at the time. https://imgur.com/a/FHgQsnu

This is the only school I can find on that short road and since this is at the right time period I imagine there wouldn't have been another boarding school on the same road, though I can't be certain.

Does anyone know where I can get more information on this? The dream would be finding school records of my relative but more realistically I'm just looking for more information on the school itself.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Boarding School in Weston-Super-Mare in the early 20th century
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

From WSM FHS:

information on the history of Eastern House, Landemann Circus: It was formerly Lewisham House Boys School (1891-1932) when it became Eastern House girls school. The school closed around 1939 and the house was then used as a Red Cross Hospital during the Second World War.  After the war in 1947 Joseph Lucas Ltd of Birmingham bought the house for use as a convalescent home for its employees.  In 1967 the house was bought by the Regional Hospital Board and was converted to a 60 bed hospital to treat elderly and chronically sick patients.  The hospital closed in 1986.

See: http://wsmfhs.org.uk/content/eastern-house for more info, and links to even more info ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Elliott3396

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

From WSM FHS:

information on the history of Eastern House, Landemann Circus: It was formerly Lewisham House Boys School (1891-1932) when it became Eastern House girls school. The school closed around 1939 and the house was then used as a Red Cross Hospital during the Second World War.  After the war in 1947 Joseph Lucas Ltd of Birmingham bought the house for use as a convalescent home for its employees.  In 1967 the house was bought by the Regional Hospital Board and was converted to a 60 bed hospital to treat elderly and chronically sick patients.  The hospital closed in 1986.

See: http://wsmfhs.org.uk/content/eastern-house for more info, and links to even more info ;D

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yeah I had seen that website, it's where I got the good picture from. Sadly it seems to mainly be about the school on Landemann Circus, which is where it moved to after South Road, so most of the information doesn't really relate to my relative.

That said I'm having doubts that this is even the right school as it appears that it wasn't a girls school until the 1930's and since my relative was born in 1900 I don't think she would have went there.

Any advise on finding what other schools where on that road, or maybe around that road? I was looking for a huge list but I can't find anything other than a list of modern schools which is of no use to me.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Elliott....You may want to google "La Ratraite", South Road...where there were two schools which were run by the nuns, the La Ratraite Sisters from France one of which was a convent. It may not be the one that you were looking for, but worth a try.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Elliott3396

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
You may want to google "La Ratraite", South Road...where there were two schools which were run by the nuns, the La Ratraite Sisters from France one of which was a convent. It may not be the one that you were looking for, but worth a try.
Carol

Trying not to jump to conclusions but now that you mention nuns I do recall my living family member saying that the place was "full of nuns". I'll give this more of a look before I jump to too many conclusions though, thanks :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 July 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
Any joy Elliott ?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Elliott3396

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Any joy Elliott ?
Carol

I believe that La Retraite is the right school however I don't really have a way to be 100% certain. Knowing my relative was born in 1900 and went to this school I think her age matches up well with when the school existed, and the fact that my Grandma had mentioned the place having "lots of nuns" makes me more sure it's the right school.

I managed to find what looks to be an advert of sorts for the school, or at least the transcript of it:
Roman Catholic School for Girls - Convent of La Retraite, South Road, Weston-super-Mare

Under the patronage of His Lordship the Bishop of Clifton and the
Very Rev. Eustace Canon Barron.

The nuns of La Retraite are prepared to receive a limited number
of pupils to whom they can devote individual attention.

The school syllabus makes a special feature of languages and
literature, and while pupils can, if necessary, be prepared for
examinations, it has been drawn up mainly with a view of implanting
firm religious principles in the pupils, and of training them to become
cultured and well read women, fitted to occupy high social
positions.

Terms : — Pension, 22 guineas per term. Entrance fee, 2 guineas.

Special Subjects : —
Piano. 3 to 4 guineas ; violin, 3 guineas ; singing, 3 guineas ;
dancing, 1^ guineas ; painting, 2 guineas ; gymnastics, 1 guinea ;
riding, 3J guineas ; swimming, \ guinea ; for beginners, 1 guinea
per term. Library and games, 1 guinea per annum ; laundry and
medical attendance. Day boarders, from 3 guineas per term.

A reference is requested.

Fees payable in advance.

I also found this in the description on a History Trail for the area:
The far side of South Road was the site of several of the
grandest mansions in the district, occupied by La Retraite
Convent School for much of this century. Demolition and
rebuilding have broken up what was until recently a complete
vista of large, intact period building, and it is greatly to be
hoped that the people of Weston dc not allow more of
these magnificent houses to go the way of these or of ihe
Villa Rosa. Ahead, at the junction of Scuth Road with
Madeira Road, is a small tree-lined triangle which served
as the focus for the three rows of villas surrounding it. At
each corner is a niche which used to contain a drinking
fountain recessed into the wall.

Picture wise I have found two, one of the outside and one of the inside dining area. The dining area is dated long after my relative had left the town but it's still nice to see even if the inside had probably changed drastically in the 80~ years that had passed. Funnily enough the dining room picture is from the National Australian Museums website, never would have guessed I'd find an image of a school in Weston Super Mare on there!

Overall I am happy with what I know about the school, and while I can't be 100% certain it is the right school I have enough information for me to be happy with my assumption, at least for now :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 July 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Oh Good....That was the info that I found but couldn't post a link from the iPad.
Carol

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I just looked at the 1956 street directories of Weston-Super-Mare & see that 17,19 & 21 South Road are for La Retraite Convent School For Girls which was a boarding & day school.

also 23 South Road is the senior girls house for La retraite.

I hope that this is some help to you

All the very best

Phil

ps Im sending this posting from the main library at Weston-super-Mare 
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin