Author Topic: Mccue  (Read 524 times)

Offline McCue79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mccue
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find out any information regarding my family tree, I don’t have much to go on only that my 4x great grandfather John Mccue came over to England and settled in Newcastle upon Tyne to work in the coal mines! I don’t know anything regarding my 3x grandfather but my grandfather, father and brother all carry the name John Mccue. I would really love to hear from anyone who has any more information, many thanks j McCue.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mccue
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

Came over from where?  Any idea when (roughly) 

If your grandfather is deceased can you say when he was born or married so we can have a look for the family.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
Can you please post names/dates/areas from what you have i.e. town(s) as Newcastle is a big place?

If you can list everything known from certs. you have which give ages/dates or yrs of birth/places/occupations/female names including maiden names, it would be a good place to start?

With a surname McCue, my guess is the family were Irish?

The surname may also have variants such as McHugh/McHue depending on many factors?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya J McCue and a warm welcome to Rootschat
we need more info from you .
www.geneanet.org has a record
John McCue married Katherine Kane in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1860
www.freebmd.org.uk  has this record as Sept qtr 1860 and it is Catherine Kane .
so do we presume this is the SON of your 4 x gr grandfather ?....your 3 X G Grandfather - if so - this gives us somewhere to start  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline McCue79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses I have limited info at the moment, trying to gather as much as possible from family members! Once I know more I will be able to post dates and names of places! I do know the family name is Irish and my great x3 grandfather fought in a battle, there was mention of cork but I’m not sure if he fought there or lived there. I do know that he is buried over in Ireland, I remember seeing a picture and there are hundreds of war graves but have no idea of the location of where he is buried. In regards to areas in Newcastle my great grandfather lived unfortunately I have no idea but  I do know they moves down to the south west of England to work in the railways and the family have remained here since.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
"I remember seeing a picture and there are hundreds of war graves but have no idea of the location of where he is buried" sounds like World War I era but that seems unlikely? Best to work back step by step (first in England then in Ireland if you get back far enough) to avoid following the wrong family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses I have limited info at the moment, trying to gather as much as possible from family members! Once I know more I will be able to post dates and names of places! I do know the family name is Irish and my great x3 grandfather fought in a battle, there was mention of cork but I’m not sure if he fought there or lived there. I do know that he is buried over in Ireland, I remember seeing a picture and there are hundreds of war graves but have no idea of the location of where he is buried. In regards to areas in Newcastle my great grandfather lived unfortunately I have no idea but  I do know they moves down to the south west of England to work in the railways and the family have remained here since.

Can you be more specific about where in SW England the family settled, and approximately when?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Can you be more specific about where in SW England the family settled, and approximately when?

Names/dates/places...i.e. BMDs as the more info. you can provide the more help you can probably receive as people need info. on where to begin & work back  ;)

If unsure of dates then approx. dates along with places can help.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"