Author Topic: brick wall with Catherine McArthur  (Read 6020 times)

Offline sharonsteinberg47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: brick wall with Catherine McArthur
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 05:49 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any other william Bolston at all except for the one in Liverpool Asylum. However there is a carcoar marriage for a "caroline" Makin to a chap called Waithing...but there is not anything anywhere for him either. I thought perhaps Caroline was probably Catherine..this was an 1850 marriage so the right time...I think Catherine McArthur had a very fractured life. sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 05:53 BST (UK) »
Searching for the surname BOLSTON in NSW bdm indexes ... so few as to suggest a mis-transcription or three.

I will get to my offline resources shortly ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 05:58 BST (UK) »
BOLSTON ... only find these five chaps in NSW in the 1840s ...
Charles arrived 1841 per Strathfieldsaye
John arrived 1840 per Andromache
John arrived 1850 per Jane
John arrived 1849 per Randolph, Convict Exile Ticket of leave on arrival
Joseph arrived 1840 per Eden (Ticket of leave in 1851)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
That does not explain the daughter Elizabeth stating her mothers name as Catherine West in 1867 though. so what happened between 1862 when he deserted her and 1867 when she was calling herself catherine west? there is also the William Bolston in Liverpool.  sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:07 BST (UK) »
One step at a time ...  :)  how have you proven who the three sisters are? ... Mary has two older sisters as per the notice of 2 November 1864 ...  basically I am asking about what document gives you confirmation of who were Mary's older sisters.. and were there any other brothers/sisters mentioned as well ...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:09 BST (UK) »
Divorce did not come to NSW until 1873 ... so there's many domestic relationships that were common law marriages ...

ADD bigamy is a civil law crime, you need proof of second marriage before police action can take place.  This was also the requirement back in the 1800s in NSW ... police required proof before proceeding with any request of police magistrate for authority to arrest. Co-habitation was not proof.

JM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:18 BST (UK) »
Right I looked at the Liverpool entry and I think the chaps name is Colston...it is just labeled by Ancestry as Bolston.

first, elizabeth Makin and John Moore were witnesses to the marriage of mary makin and Martin Wood. Catherine Makin was a witness to Marys first marriage to Christopher Donnelly. I have a DNA match with someone who descends from thomas Makin who emigrated to Victoria and he is the brother of James Makin. I am not in any doubt that I have the correct family I just cannot find where Catherine McArthur comes from...not arriving nor being here. sharon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
so where did they marry? I do not think they did and I believe that is why there are no further notices in the Gazette...I think they found out she was just cohabiting with her...usually they put the notice in more than once...or a notice of his arrest is in the gazette...but that is the only notice.
Did Catherine change her name several times?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
James Arrived with his wife hannah Scott from Scotland on ship with sickness, she died in Quarantine. He needed a baby sitter for his 3 children so married Catherine McArthur she had 3 daughters to him and he died.