Author Topic: brick wall with Catherine McArthur  (Read 6043 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: brick wall with Catherine McArthur
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Umm... it is often important to separate the known facts from some speculations of course, and I encourage you to consider obtaining the official transcriptions of those two marriages from 1864 and 1865 to then be able to seek out the original parish registers which will have all the details that the brides provided about their own parents and themselves ... the info includes Mother's maiden name and can often include any other names she had become known by .. this then helps you research back a generation on those parents ...

Re James arriving with wife who dies in Quarrantine... he and that wife had 3 children, then he marries Catherine and has 3 more children before he died in 1849.   What ship did he arrive on, where and when...  what info did he give when marrying Catherine ... was he noted as a widower, what was her status?   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sharonsteinberg47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:51 BST (UK) »
I shall get the certificates...thank you for all your help. There is no fathers name or mothers name on Catherine Makins marriage to James Dallas. the Names on the marriage of my gg grandmother to Christopher Donnelly were illegible....I shall get elizabeths marriage and see what that says...but frankly I do not see how it will help me find out what happened to Catherine McArthur nor where she came from...as Elizabeth apparently claimed her mothers name was West when she married. This is a fractured family so in my experience they are difficult to research. People tended to change their names at the drop of a hat...this would be a kdifferent sear ch ifJames Makin had lived longer...but Catherine was left with 3 children to care for and obviouslyy took whatever man she could for however long he would stay. oce again thank you for your help. cheers,sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:59 BST (UK) »
I am not promising that it will find info re Catherine, but I do know that the info on those m.c.s is often just enough to help towards finding further info on the parents of the bride or the groom.  Tiny clues often sort out big pictures...

I agree fractured families are tough to sort.  My earliest migrant ancestors arrived in NSW 1790s, many fractures later,  :) still in NSW  :) most of the 1800s they were central west and around Lachlan and further west ... even right out to Darling River etc  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Re the marriage to James DALLAS ... so there's elusive blanks there too ... when and where married, what denomination ...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
Also, may I note that when Mary married in 1870, the index shows her surname as DONELLY, so she has likely been asked and has given info to confirm she was a widow.  #3802.

JM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Yes she said she was a widow but she was not a widow and I am sure Christopher also said he was a widower, but of course he was not a widower. Certificates are only as true as the people giving the information are truthful.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:19 BST (UK) »
William Ross married them in Goulburn at the Presbyterian church. she was born in Carcoar and dallas was born in Tasmania...his father was a convict.

as for the Donelly Donnelly name I do not think that is significant. cheers, sharon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:43 BST (UK) »
a mary McDonald was a witness to the marriage of james Dallas and Catherine Makin which took me back to the 1839 arrival of Donald and Catherine McArthur. but truly she would have married by then I am sure. I have the same problem with Christopher Donnelly he was born in Parramatta and his parents were Margaret Murphy and William Donnelly...i cannot find his birth nor any sign of his parents...I believe they were Convicts but no other clues. ..other than parramatta. He was a catholic despite being buried at St John in Canberra...his coronial death inquiry stated he was born in Parramatta and that matches with all of his arrests in Goulburn before he and Mary Makin broke up.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
other spellings for DONNELLY on NSW official records may well include:
DANOLY and DANILY and DONNELY, for the tailor of Parramatta circa 1820s ...

The spellings are only significantly important when using online databases ... :)

JM