Author Topic: General game certificates c1850  (Read 638 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
General game certificates c1850
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any idea on what sort of hunting would be covered by these certificates? I think they were either introduced or amended around 1839 in England. They cost 4 pounds and 10 pence each with an additional duty of 10% and names of the holders were listed in newspapers.
 I have found a distant relative who held one in 1847, 1854 and 1856.

Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General game certificates c1850
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
Just about any animal or bird but the most common were
Small game : small birds, such as the thrush and quail, snipe, pigeon.
Winged game : goose, duck, woodcock, grouse, pheasant, partridge.
Ground game : squirrel, hare, rabbit.
Big game : mainly deer but other large animals were included. 

If it moved the certificate provided a licence to shoot it!

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I had a feeling that it covered quite a lot and was quite expensive for the time.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
The Game Law Act 1831

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Will4/1-2/32/enacted

see clause II

Had a look at Hansard where it was proposed the clause should also include "rabbits, woodcocks,snipe, quails, landrails** and conies".

** Pointed out to the proposer it should be "waterrail".

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
My ggg gf and one of his sons were gamekeepers and were listed in the newspaper lists. Their licences appear to have been paid for by their employers - Lords of the Manor in both cases.

They also appear in the "Gamekeepers' Books" for Lancashire. Each Lord of the Manor could register a single gamekeeper, who would be responsible for the whole of their estates. Anyone else employed on their shoots would just be an "assistant".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
I was led to this a few months ago when I spotted my local Sainsburys was licensed as a dealer in game under the Act....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your input.
I bet Sainsburys paid alot more that the original 4 pounds odd!
Jackie