Author Topic: £200 for an 1805 marriage obligation  (Read 957 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
£200 for an 1805 marriage obligation
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of an 1805 document, signed by the then Lord Bishop of Durham, authorising the marriage of my 4x GGF, at a cost of £200 "of good and lawful money of Great Britain".  The bride was under age at 19.  This seems extortionate.  Is it typical?  I think my ancestor should have waited two years, and passed the £200 on down the line to me, with compound interest.

Martin

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: £200 for an 1805 marriage obligation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Actually, £200.00 was the forfeit IF the marriage did NOT take place.  A marriage licence was obtained if the bride and groom did not wish to have Banns called prior to their marriage, for whatever reason.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
BB, ah, that makes better sense.  I've read it again and it still isn't clear.  I hope my ancestor understood!

Martin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of an 1805 document, signed by the then Lord Bishop of Durham, authorising the marriage of my 4x GGF, at a cost of £200 "of good and lawful money of Great Britain". 
Martin

That would probably be a marriage bond. A visit to the clergyman issuing the licence resulted in three documents, an allegation or affidavit, a marriage bond and the licence. Bonds were a very common legal device. By entering into a bond a person would agree for instance that a statement was true, for a marriage  that there was no "lawful let or impediment" to the proposed marriage. If this was not the case  a penalty was due to the church official concerned, if the marriage did not take place the bond was irrelevant. A marriage bond would mention the two people who wanted to get married, not just one.  By the late 18th Century the penalty was £200. I would expect that they would not have to prove they had the money. After 1823 bonds ceased to be necessary.
See also https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan. My ancestor was 30 and his bride-to-be was only 19.

Martin

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
That £200 in 1805 would be worth £12070.23 in today's money.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
That £200 in 1805 would be worth £12070.23 in today's money.

I wonder which currency converter you used? Present-day valuations can be controversial, because there's a vast difference in the calculation methods used by various websites.

The National Archives converter, for example, suggests that £200 in 1800 would have purchasing power equivalent to about £8,814 in today's terms, and in 1810 equivalent to about £9,305 in today's terms. Both very different from your figure?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency-converter

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
A pint of beer is 20 times what it was 40 years ago.  I think you have to use various algorithms, such as a day's salary for a skilled labourer then and now, or the price of a used pony and trap against a Volvo, or a spinning top against a GameBoy, or the price of The Times.

I am here today to testify that the marriage lasted long enough to produce my 3x great grandfather and his 8 siblings.

Martin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
The British Association for Local History produce a booklet called "How Much is that Worth?" by Lionel Mumby. In the introduction it says "No single precise, numerical answer is possible to the question: what is the modern value of a given sum of money at a particular time in the past? We do know the monetary price of many distinct items at specific times, but we cannot easily generalise from these prices."

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk