Author Topic: Martha Lloyd - Llanbadarn Fynydd and Mochdre (Moughtrey), Montgomeryshire  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,

I have the family of Benjamin Davies who was a blacksmith in Mochdre, Newtown, Montgomeryshire. I have him and his family in the census from 1841 until he dies in 1865 and his widow until she dies in 1896. I have their Banns and marriage record from 1830 which shows that she was Martha LLoyd.

I have a baptism for Benjamin.

I am now trying to get back to the parents of Martha. The various censuses show that she was born in Llanbadarn Fynydd, Radnorshire around 1813-14 but I can find no records in Parish Baptisms. There only seems to be one Martha Lloyd baptism record in Radnorshire anywhere around that date but she was baptised in Llanfaredd in 1809. Llanfaredd is over 20 miles away from Llanbadarn Fynydd.

The marriage document shows that both Benjamin and Martha were of the parish of Mochdre at the time of their marriage but I cannot find a Martha Lloyd born in Mochdre either. The only two in Montgomeryshire of that name during the relevant time period were both born in Guilsfield.

So, as the marriage record does not show parents for Martha and no Lloyds were witnesses at the wedding does anyone have any suggestions about how I might crack this one please?

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Lloyd - Llanbadarn Fynydd and Mochdre (Moughtrey), Montgomeryshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

It's possible that she wasn't baptised at birth; there's a Particular Baptist Chapel (Maesyrhelem) not far from Llanbadarn Fynydd (between there and Llananno) and it could be that her birth is recorded in their records.

Copies of the records are held at Powys Archives in Llandrindod Wells and the National Library at Aberystwyth.

Cheers
RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Lloyd - Llanbadarn Fynydd and Mochdre (Moughtrey), Montgomeryshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion RuthieB. I live in Shropshire but I might go and have a day at LLandod records one of these days. I must keep that in mind when I do.

Best Wishes