Author Topic: Smith Murray and Sinclair confusion  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Murray and Sinclair confusion
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 21 July 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
The George Smith I have in my tree married to Anne Sinclair was born on 3 Apr 1790 according to Scotland Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 and according to Scotlandspeople Record 164/10 327 George born to William and Anne Smith on 00/001790 - which is a little strange.
It's not strange at all.

164 is the parish number for Rathven and 10/327 is the reference to this specific entry.

FamilySearch has it indexed showing a birth on 3 April 1790 and a baptism in 1790, date unspecified. SP indexes the baptism date only, so if it just shows 1790 with no specific date for the baptism, 00/00/1790 (you omitted the second backslash above) is perfectly logical.

Have you viewed the original document on SP? That will clarify exactly what it says, and it just might contain some other useful information.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 22 July 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian - that it explains it beautifully.  You have me intrigued that you say the original doc may contain some other useful information, so I will buy it.  I did buy a pre 1855 marriage for a different family and it gave me the bride's father's name and occupation which I haven't seen in other pre 1855 marriages I have bought. 
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline laureng

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 03 January 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi AlannahGrace,

Elspeth Smith, married to John Cormack, is my relative as well. Her daughter Helen (the one born 1868) is my gg-grandmother. From whom do you descend?

Thank you!

Lauren