Author Topic: Smith Murray and Sinclair confusion  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Murray and Sinclair confusion
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 July 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
Another find everyone.  Elspet Smith married John Cormack in 1856.  I purchased the marriage cert and her parents are George Smith and Margaret Smith nee Murray - and George is ' eureka ' 'DECEASED'.  Now I just have to find out who he is.  AT least this means I have my direct line right.  Will just have to find the other George's line now.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 20 July 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Another find everyone.  Elspet Smith married John Cormack in 1856.  I purchased the marriage cert and her parents are George Smith and Margaret Smith nee Murray - and George is ' eureka ' 'DECEASED'.  Now I just have to find out who he is.  AT least this means I have my direct line right.  Will just have to find the other George's line now.

yeah well done good find at least now you know you are on the right track

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 20 July 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
yes not going to be easy finding who he is or when he died.  These are the search results for Banff between 1829 and 1855.  There was only one in Moray - aged 55 died 1838.  Find it hard to believe any of the Banff ones are him.  All places bar Banff are inland - and the Banff one was aged 0.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 July 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Elspet Smith married John Cormack in 1856.  I purchased the marriage cert and her parents are George Smith and Margaret Smith nee Murray - and George is ' eureka ' 'DECEASED'.  Now I just have to find out who he is.  AT least this means I have my direct line right.  Will just have to find the other George's line now.

Your George appears to have died 1858 i.e. the George (deceased) in 1856 doesn't appear to be yours.

Recap...

children to George Smith and Margaret Murray and found:

Margaret 1810
Alexander 1811
Jane 1820
John 1822
Helen 1825
Ann 1828
Espet 1830

children to George and Ann and found:

William 1812
Ann 1815
Margaret 1817
Alexander 1820
George 1822
Isabella - 1825 (my 2nd gr grandmother)
James 1827
Margaret 1829
William 1831
John 1834
Joseph 1837

There's no 'Elspet' in this family i.e. I am of the belief you have the correct DC for your George.

What was the address/age for Elspet (on marriage) & what was father's occ?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 21 July 18 01:02 BST (UK) »
Rosinish - Elspeth's residence was 'Portessie'.  Her father George shown as deceased married to Margaret Murray was a fisherman.  The George who died in 1858 was also recorded as a fisherman and he lived at Findochty.  Because I now know the George who is shown as deceased at Elspeth's marriage in 1856 was married to Margaret Murray (listed as mother on the marriage regn) I know the George who died in 1858 is mine. Looking at all the information people have supplied - and from census I had also found - as there is no George listed in the 1841 nor 51 census where Margaret is listed, I believe he was probably deceased by 1841 - Elspeth was born in 1830, so I am surmising death somewhere between 1830 and 1841 - though I am not ruling out because he was a fisherman he may have been away from home fishing, but was definitely deceased by Elspeth's marriage in 1856.  I am therefore putting a timeline of 1830-1856 on that George's death, but not sure I will ever find his parents.  I should let it go now as having taken MY George off Margaret and putting this new George and timeline in - Margaret is now showing as the mother in law of 2nd cousin 5 x removed - so it is now evident that it is only through some of their children's partners - MARGARET Smith who married Alexander Smith -and JOHN Smith who married Isabella Smith - that there is any direct relationship to me.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 21 July 18 05:50 BST (UK) »

I bought Scotlands people death for a George Smith d 17 Feb 1858 at Findochty.  It states George Smith was a Fisherman - married - no wife's name.  Says he was 67 and parents were William Smith (Peter) Fisherman decd and Ann Smith nee Smith. 

Hi,

So we are on the right page or should I say right track ;D

I have a George Smith born 3 April 1792, in Findochty to William Smith, born 26 April 1751 and Ann Smith, born 18 Jan 1757 in Rathven.

Death of George 17 February 1858 Findochty.
  I have no other information of a marriage for George, as this was given to me 20 years ago.  My connection is to Findochty, as my Mother was born and raised there.  George would be my 1st cousin 7x removed :D  I am on Ann's line :)  Think it works out that Ann's father was my 7th Ggrandfather.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 21 July 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Kiwi -
"I have a George Smith born 3 April 1792, in Findochty to William Smith, born 26 April 1751 and Ann Smith, born 18 Jan 1757 in Rathven.

Death of George 17 February 1858 Findochty.  I have no other information of a marriage for George, as this was given to me 20 years ago.  My connection is to Findochty, as my Mother was born and raised there.  George would be my 1st cousin 7x removed :D  I am on Ann's line :)  Think it works out that Ann's father was my 7th Ggrandfather."

I have searched Scotlandspeople and can't find a George Smith born in 1792 to William and Ann Smith.  The George Smith I have in my tree married to Anne Sinclair was born on 3 Apr 1790 according to Scotland Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 and according to Scotlandspeople Record 164/10 327 George born to William and Anne Smith on 00/001790 - which is a little strange.  George Smith and Anne Sinclair  are my 3rd gr grandparents, and their daughter Isabella b 1825 is my 2nd gr grandmother.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 July 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Alanna,

Your year of 1790 is right, and I have been given the wrong year.   Unfortunately I can't check with the person who passed this on to me, as they died a few years ago.  But the other dates match.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 21 July 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
Let me know if you want copies of any of those documents.  Sorry to hear that Kiwi. 
Anne