Author Topic: Albert Ernest Sparkes in 1881  (Read 2241 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Ernest Sparkes in 1881
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Albert was born c1858, registered Q1 Reading 1858.

I have been able to find him in the 1861, 1871 and 1891 to 1911 censuses plus in the 1939 register.   Sometimes recorded as Albert and sometimes as Ernest.

In 1871 and 1891 to 1939 he was living in various parts of Reading.

However I have been unable to find him in 1881.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Ernest Sparkes in 1881
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 06:24 BST (UK) »
If I have the correct family, in 1881 [Family Search] brother Charles is listed as a soldier, maybe Albert E had a spell in the services, though not seen anything yet.

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
That is the correct family, I hadn't noticed that Charles was listed as a soldier.  That certainly could mean that Albert was soldier too and was abroad maybe.

Charles is proving somewhat elusive as I can't find him in the subsequent censuses but I did find a possible death registration for him at Wallingford, Berkshire, Q1 1909 which I've sent for.  That might give a clue as to whether he was a career soldier and which regiment he was in, if it does that might help locate Albert in 1881 if he was indeed in the army.

Albert married in 1890 Q2 and in 1891 was living with his wife at 42 Norton Road, St Giles, Reading working as a biscuit factory labourer - presumably Huntley & Palmers.  If he had been in the army then he must have left by at least the 1891 census.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Just about to ask what occupation he had.  No luck with 1881 yet. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Charles is proving somewhat elusive as I can't find him in the subsequent censuses but I did find a possible death registration for him at Wallingford, Berkshire, Q1 1909

That was Charles Edward Sparkes age 48 per GRO death index.

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
There's Charles a painter married to Fanny with 2 children in 1891 - is this your Charles?

Born 1861 Reading.

One of the children is called Albert.

In 1901 a C S (could be C E) Sparkes a painter married born Reading 1861 is a patient in a lunatic asylum  :(  and the place Cholsey does fit with the 1909 death registration district of Wallingford.

Fanny is on her own with the children in 1901 and then widowed to tie in with the 1909 death.

Sorry is this is a different Charles you have already eliminated.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
That all seems to fit in nicely to be the Charles Edward brother of the Albert Ernest who I can't find.

His cause of death will be interesting as all his siblings, parents and their siblings lived to good ages, a significant proportion into their eighties and nineties.  Obviously a mental health problem can afflict anyone but as he was a soldier presumably serving away from home, even abroad, I wonder is something like syphilis was a contributory factor caught in a brothel somewhere though he'd surely have infected his wife.  I'll see what his death certificate says then decide how to go with that one.

I don't know what sort of hospital Cholsey was at Charles' time but I do know that in the 1960s/70s  they also treated all forms of depression including post natal. A neighbour of my parents went there twice for the latter after the birth of both of her children poor thing and another neighbour's sibling who had severe learning difficulties was looked after there full time for very many years until local mental health care home facilities were available in the Reading area.

I should say that Albert isn't an ancestor of mine, he is the father of an uncle who married my father's eldest sister.  He was one of my favourite uncles who fought at Gallipoli where he was seriously wounded and later in Egypt taking part in the last British army cavalry charge, he was also twice on ships that were torpedoed.  I am certain from his behaviour that he suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which of course at that time wasn't recognised.  He only had one child who didn't have any children of his own and I just want to attach his details to my tree so he's not forgotten as it were.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1911 Fanny has three children, the youngest Gladys was 8 therefore it looks likely that Charles was released home after 1901 for some period of time unless Fanny was involved with another man and Gladys was illegitimate.

Does anyone know if the medical records for Cholsey are available on-line anywhere?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 August 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Just found an admission record online.

Chas E Sparkes

Admission date 13 Sep 1900

Death date 19 Mar 1909

So if he was in there continuously it does throw doubt over Gladys  :-\