Author Topic: Brutus Buck and Francis Clifton,questions.  (Read 885 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brutus Buck and Francis Clifton,questions.
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all can any body help?.
Brutus Buck possible relative fought and died as a Royalist soldier civil war Bristol siege.
His epitaph has the word pallantine what does it mean?.
James 1st era, Francis Clifton has esquire at the end of his name (will) rather than his trade.
What would have been his status?.
Regards tobyma123 :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brutus Buck and Francis Clifton,questions.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
A meaning for esquire:-

esquire
n. a form of address showing that someone is an attorney, usually written Albert Pettifog, Esquire, or simply Esq. Originally in England an Esquire was a rank above just "gentleman" and below "knight." It became a title for barristers, sheriffs, and judges.

This may well be what your 'pallantine' means:-

ADJECTIVE
historical
1 usually postpositive (of an official or feudal lord) having local authority that elsewhere belongs only to a sovereign.

Example sentences:-

‘The earls and bishops palatine were powerful men, but subjects they remained.’

‘In Chester the palatine earl had a master serjeant of the Peace.’

‘An example of a palatine earl was William fitz Osbern, who was made earl of Hereford in 1066 or 1067.’

1.1 (of a territory) subject to palatine authority.

Example sentences:-

‘The county of Cornwall, although not normally reckoned a palatine county, has a similar status to Lancashire.’

‘Speeding down the M6, we entered the county palatine of Lancashire.’

‘It also undertakes various administrative duties associated with the area of the historical County Palatine of Lancaster.’
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Girl Guide thank you for your reply.
So Francis was a somebody, as possible relative that's okay keep saying possible have a broken
link i am working on it.
Brutus was a colonel when he was killed so maybe it says he was an officer loyal to the crown.
It is a first for me never come across that word before.
Thank's.
tobyma123 :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Brutus Buck possible relative fought and died as a Royalist soldier civil war Bristol siege.
His epitaph has the word pallantine what does it mean?.

Is this the epitaph that you’re referring to, in Bristol Cathedral, apparently not fully legible ...
https://archive.org/stream/surveyofcathedra02will#page/770/mode/2up

‘Here lieth the Body of Brutus Buck – 26. 1643. – faithfully served – foreign Employments in the Palatinate, Cales, Spain, Ireland, the Isle of Rhees, Rochell, and in the North against the Scots.’

This simply indicates that he had done military service in the Palatine States in Germany during the Thirty Years’ War, a campaign in which English troops joined other north European nations in fighting for the Protestant cause.

ADDED
As for Francis Clifton, ‘Esquire’ normally means that he did not need to work for a living. He may have lived off income from land, property, investments etc. The will itself should provide some clues.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Bookbox thank you so much what a great soldier he was.
I also believe that he served some time at the fort Isle of Wight.
Francis Clifton was the second son his older brother died young,the Clifton lands
were inherited by his brothers daughters but they were too young to inherit at the time.
When he died they passed back to his nieces.
He had a bit of money and various other things.
Brutus Buck was the son of his niece Eleanor.
The Clifton,s seem to be a very fortunate family one way and another.
I maybe as i said be related to them but i have a broken link.
If you would like a challenge all idea,s would be welcome.
I can give you the link? if you have the time it is driving me potty.
Regards and thanks again.
tobyma123 ; ;D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 July 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
I maybe as i said be related to them but i have a broken link.
If you would like a challenge all idea,s would be welcome.

If you would like help bridging a gap in the lineage, I suggest you post details of the earliest ancestor for whom you have documented information, and explain where you are trying to go from there. With that as a starting-point, I expect people will do their best to help.

If you have already posted about this elsewhere on the forum, it's best to include a link to that thread, to avoid duplicating any help that you may already have been given.