Author Topic: Visit to Cork  (Read 3667 times)

Offline bridgetjbrb

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Visit to Cork
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am spending a few days in Cork at the end of September/ beginning of October flights from Heathrow under £40 return.
It is my intention to visit cemeteries and take pictures, also Cobh to research the Kearney side of the family and hopefully start looking at the census returns.

If I can be of help to anyone, please let me know & I will try and do my best.

Bridget  :D
Kearney,
Roche,
Twohig,
O'Callaghan,
Ireland,
Cork
Cork City,
Cobh

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 23:59 BST (UK) »
What a great offer — thank you!
If you see any stones with Fennessy on them I would be really interested.
My great grandparents lived there (Cork city), sometime after 1854. She was Mary born c 1831 (? maiden name), I don't have a forename for him, though I have a photo of him, with a lock of his hair. Almost total brickwall!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I will get there myself one day but it's a long way from Brisbane!
Thanks, Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline rita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 14:42 BST (UK) »
That is a lovely offer my gt grandparents lived in Cork City they were Thomas Scannell and Margaret nee hegarrty Thomas was born about 1861 but l would be grateful for any Scannells or Hegartys Rita

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 05 23:20 BST (UK) »
hope you have a great time. if you can find any info on egans that would be great . my great grandfarther john egan was born there in 1846. its a long shot but you never know. many thanks. enjoy your holiday.
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline giving up for a while

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 05 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi bridget
I am from cork so if i can be of any help please let me know
Love Anne
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Conifer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi bridget
I am from cork so if i can be of any help please let me know
Love Anne
[/
quote]

Hi Anne,

My ancestors were from Cork - in the Fermoy area I believe.   Have you ever come accross the surname  GYNANE ?   It's quite unusual.  If you or anyone has info please post.

Ta.
Gavin.    Gynane
S.Ireland, Cheshire, Liverpool

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 05 20:27 BST (UK) »

It is my intention to visit cemeteries and take pictures, also Cobh to research the Kearney side of the family and hopefully start looking at the census returns.

Bridget  :D

Bridget,

Don't believe this, haven't got round to my Dad's Irish roots til now..........

Kearney - from Cork ! ;D

Specifically one John Kearney (born Cork c1818 - according to census returns)

His father was a James Kearney (according to John's marriage certificate).  Both men were tailors.

John married a Mary Ann Battaille in 1839 in Hoxton, Middlesex.

I realise that there are probably a host of Kearny/Kearneys but if you come across a John born c1818..........

Helen

Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Conifer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 05 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bridget,

My ancestors were from Cork - in the Fermoy area I believe.   Have you ever come accross the surname  GYNANE ?   It's quite unusual.  If you or anyone has info please post.   I believe the original Irish spelling was Guinane

Ta
Gavin.    Gynane
S.Ireland, Cheshire, Liverpool

Offline accypete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 December 10 00:28 GMT (UK) »
hi
 there are a few way I have seen Guinane spelt including guinnane Guinanne Gynan, and these have been people that are in my family tree ... my family were "Guinanes"
I see that you were looking for these family in the Cheshire area , in the 1901 UK census I have found Guinane's in Accrington lancs Salford lancs Bolton lancs one in yorkshire and a couple in London.
I dint know how far you have got with your searching this is a considerable amount of guinanes (including other variant spellings) that you can find in the Irish 1901 census.
I also search the Lancashire BDM (birth death marriages) it free and it give you a chance to search variants ,I believe there is a similar one for Cheshire
Flynn, Guinane, Ryan, Libreri, Robson, Armstrong, Fleming, Camilleri, Coleiro, Jennings, Ellison, French, Forester, Azzopardi, Vella, Tonna, Hennessey,
Accrington, Hethersgil, Wark, Carlisle, Nenagh, Silvermines, Westport, Ballinaclough, Allendale, Hexham, Floriana, Muklyn, Valletta, Bewcastle, Stapleton, Warcop, Cumbria, Northumberland, Lancashire, Tipperary, Mayo, Westmorland, Ireland, England, Scotland, Malta, Itally, the Borders /Rievers.