Author Topic: updating to Google Chrome??  (Read 1030 times)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
updating to Google Chrome??
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I could really use some advice, I keep being reminded to "update" to google chrome by my computer.

Now - I am a creature of habit so not keen on making these sort of decisions.....should I just do it or should I go fire fox??

Any help much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: updating to Google Chrome??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
What operating system are you using? If you are using Windows it will not be asking you to upgrade to Google Chrome as they are products from different companies. If it's a Google product, it might be, but more information is required from you before we can give you a definitive answer.

Martin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Doesn't really matter once you set Firefox as Default.... (if you want to use Firefox!)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
On a Windows computer, if you have Chrome installed and running, it will check for updates, find them and download them by itself. Usually these are installed when Chrome is closed down and reopened, but if you don't do that, I believe it will eventually nag you that it needs to be done.

That's the default situation. I believe there may be a geeky way to disable automatic updates, but I've never tried it. However, I do subscribe to an RSS feed which tells me when Chrome updates are about to be released, so at least I know to expect them.

(I used Firefox happily for many years, but a few months ago I found it was slowing down and freezing on a regular basis, so I switched to Chrome. However, to try to retain a bit of privacy, I don't use a Google account.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
To add to the previous post, you could always Google "Chrome " followed by the version number it wants you to update to and see if anyone has had serious problems with it or if it makes changes you don't want. Google something like  "Chrome Version xx problems"

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
(I used Firefox happily for many years, but a few months ago I found it was slowing down and freezing on a regular basis

I thought it was my laptop as I find Firefox infuriatingly slow recently or freezing.  I can't even have 2 web pages open at the same time now.  If I do, when I go to web page A, web page B starts to shut down, so when I go back to web page B, the little wheel is going round and round whilst it re-starts the page again, then the same thing happens with web page A.  I've turned off everything I don't need when it starts up, I've closed all the tabs I used to have on my home page to see if that speeded things up, but it doesn't.

My husband, who only uses a small tablet is not having any problems at all and he uses Firefox.  The router is about 12 inches from his tablet and about 4 ft from my laptop.  We thought perhaps that was the problem, (shouldn't have been it worked perfectly well in our previous house when I had my laptop on a different floor to my husband's PC that he had at the time), so my laptop is now connected by wi-fi to the router, but it makes no difference.

The problem is I don't like Chrome, I'm thinking of going back to Internet Explorer.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi chaps,

Thank you all for your help and input as always most helpful and some good ideas.

Thanks,

Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.