Author Topic: St Petersburg death 1866  (Read 494 times)

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Petersburg death 1866
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Probably a bit of a long shot but....

From newspaper reports & local Hull archive records I have found that my 4x Great Grandfather William Greensides died of Cholera on board the ship The Sultana in August 1866, which was heading for St Petersburg. From the newspaper reports he died in the hospital at Constadt or Cronstadt (which I presume to be Kronshtadt  St Petersburg). I am wondering if there are likely to be any local records available there, burial/grave etc.

As I appreciate it's likely to be a  longshot, but I wouldn't know where to start searching.

Many thanks for any help
Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline elcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Petersburg death 1866
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kev,

an intriguing question.

I can not give you a direct answer but try: forum.vgd.ru (translation in English possible)
or contact rublitz@gmail.com.

The last one is a research group in St.-Petersburg and linked to the "Salt Lake society" , and very helpful.

I`m interested in how you contacted the local Hull archive records.

My forbear left Hull to st.-Petersburg around 1800 and I`m still trying to find more details about that.

Good luck anyhow,

elcas

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi elcas

Many thanks for the reply and for the links, will when give them a try, you never know what might turn up.

Re Hull archives, I live locally so can pop along anytime. I used there online search and discovered they held a record for my 3x Great Grandmother, Williams daughter, who was admitted to the seamans childrens home on his death, and on viewing the record at the archives there was a full report of what happened to William (and then knowing that I could then check the newspaper reports).

Should you find anything in the Hull archives I would be happy to pop along and take a look for you on my next visit (should you not be able to get there yourself).

Many thanks again
Kev.

Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline elcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Kev,

thanks also for the offer.

I first have to search myself etc doing this for years already.

Strange enough "British families in Russia" is hardly covered in the English genealogical world.

I found an other probably useful source for you, "findrussianheritage.com ". At least you can read a lot sometimes useful information, although I do not know how deep your interest in Russia via your ancestors is going.

Best wishes,

elcas

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again elcas

Thanks again for the suggestions, hopefully next week will investigate further.

As far as I know I don't have any Russian ancestry, just really interested to see if I can find out what happened to William after he died of cholera and was presumably buried at Cronstadt (that's the newspaper spelling) -don't think I'm expecting to find a grave, but you never know. Also quite interested in why the ship the Sultana was heading for St Petersburg, apparently delivering a message from the mayor of Hull (don't have the newspaper reports to hand) so will have to check that out further.

If you would like any help in searching the Hull archive I'm happy to help, just PM me the details of your relative - I also visit the Treasure House the East Riding Archives in Beverley occasionally, they could also have some records for your ancestor (planning to pop along soon - I've got a list of documents to have a look at and take images of).

Thanks again
Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Not sure what I was thinking in my reply from this morning, the record in the local archives was for a sister of my 2x Great Grandmother - both daughters of William Greensides my 3x Great Grandfather.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley