Author Topic: Cheesman family  (Read 631 times)

Offline jma002

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheesman family
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Cheesman family of Brighton ? I believe one side had a Jewellers and one side had a Glass and China shop in North Rd. I believe one of them called William worked for the Kings in the early 1800's at the Brighton Pavilion.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesman family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

If they were trades people, maybe a good start would be via street directories http://www.mhms.org.uk/content/directories, the you could look at the 1841 census
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have Cheesemans/Cheesmans connections to Brighton tracing back to Berkshire on my other half's side of the tree.

It would be great if you could post some specifics to see if were are chasing the same family.

I have a few Williams but cant remember the specifics and I don't have my notes here to check, will have to get back to you.

From memory I think there were marriages to the surnames Woolford and Monger amongst others.

Hopefully were are looking at the same family

:)

Greenock-Williamson,Guthrie,McIlhagga,Morris,McPherson
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Arbroath-Smith,Adam,Garland,Esplin,Davdison, Fender,Moncur
AyrshireRankin,McDickens,Bennard/Bennett,Carrick,Russell.
Ireland-Williamson,Galbraith,McIlhagga,Adrain. Bennard.
Fife-Brown,Williamson
Whitburn-Brown,Smart,Martin
Staffordshire-Abbiss,Oakley,Morris,Southall

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 18 06:11 BST (UK) »
Cheeseman - well known name in Cricket and Business circles in Euroa between the wars.
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has 31 Cheeseman people living in Sussex.
Plus a couple of Cheasman and 252 Cheesman ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)