Author Topic: Malta Research  (Read 535 times)

Offline fanbrother

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Malta Research
« on: Thursday 19 July 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my family from Malta for many years but keep hitting roadblocks and then it discourages me and I put it away.  My main frustration is that I can't seem to find census' and birth records.  I've written to the places that I read online but no one has ever answered.  I see a "resource" online that has several military records but I believe that none of my family ever was in the military or they weren't british (or married british people)  Is there a regular place that I can go and find a census or vital records?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Malta Research
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention place names or time periods, but there are a few baptisms in the The Adami collection (1485-1868) on FS: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1215731?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
removed

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
I am sure somebody will prove me wrong but I don’t think that there are any “official” sites or places for Maltese research, you must remember that government BMD records did not start until the early 1800s and prior to that all records were (and still are) held by the relevant parish church. If you can find the right church some of them are extremely helpful but again you must remember that the people dealing with your mail are volunteer churchgoers and therefore things that are not important to them may well get put to one side.
One possible way forward is if you put Malta into the Rootschat search engine and then go through the displayed list you will be able to pick up a lot of websites and addresses that other researchers have used over the years that could come in very handy.
There are a couple of websites I found this way that I am using just now https://www.maltagenealogy.com/ has some really serious listings by family name that need a lot of careful studying and then there is http://en.geneanum.com/malta/databases.html a French based website which is a work in progress that I have found to be really good and so far very accurate.
Also there is https://en.geneanet.org/ which is another French based website that has a lot of links with Maltese research sadly though a lot of the trees shown on the site have no source reference for their information so you need to be careful.
Hope this is some help, good hunting - GedB

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
From Family Search.com

Malta - Archives and libraries ( 2 )

Malta - Archives and libraries - Inventories, registers, catalogs ( 2 )

Malta - Bibliography ( 1 )

Malta - Cemeteries ( 2 )

Malta - Church history ( 8 )

Malta - Church records ( 3 )

Malta - Court records ( 1 )

Malta - Description and travel ( 1 )

Malta - Description and travel - Guidebooks ( 3 )

Malta - Emigration and immigration ( 6 )

Malta - Genealogy ( 4 )

Malta - Heraldry ( 1 )

Malta - History ( 8 )

Malta - History - Dictionaries ( 2 )

Malta - Jewish history ( 1 )

Malta - Maps ( 4 )

Malta - Medical records ( 1 )

Malta - Military records - Army ( 1 )

Malta - Minorities ( 1 )

Malta - Nobility ( 5 )

Malta - Notarial records ( 2 )

Malta - Periodicals ( 1 )