Author Topic: Dominie's Hall, Drygate  (Read 289 times)

Offline JohnnyfraeCastlemulk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dominie's Hall, Drygate
« on: Thursday 19 July 18 15:13 BST (UK) »

In an application for Poor Relief one of my ancestors stated that she had lived at the Dominie's Hall in Drygate Lane during the late 1850s.  I'm guessing from the name that it was a hostel of some sort - one step above the poorhouse but not quite regular lodgings - but am struggling to find out.  Does anyone have any information?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dominie's Hall, Drygate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 18 16:49 BST (UK) »

In an application for Poor Relief one of my ancestors stated that she had lived at the Dominie's Hall in Drygate Lane during the late 1850s.  I'm guessing from the name that it was a hostel of some sort - one step above the poorhouse but not quite regular lodgings - but am struggling to find out.  Does anyone have any information?
Unless she meant that she had been in the servants' hall in a headmaster's house?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dominie's Hall, Drygate
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
There was before that time a House of Correction in the Drygate, formerly the lodging of the earls of Eglinton, could be a hangover from that time. A couple of good sites to try for anything relating to Glasgow are Urban Glasgow & Hidden Glasgow.

https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/

www.hiddenglasgow.com

Skoosh.