Author Topic: Royal Engineers, 58th Company 12th Battalion  (Read 457 times)

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Engineers, 58th Company 12th Battalion
« on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Is there anywhere I can find out the movements of the above company prior to WW1. My great uncle enlisted on 8th Jan 1903 in Manchester for 8 years with the colours and was then placed on the Army Reserve. He then fought during WW1 until he was discharged in 1916.
I do have his service records but there is a big black mark over those details and it is difficult to read.
Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineers, 58th Company 12th Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
A couple of thoughts.  Unit records pre-Great War are notoriously difficult to unearth.  No war diaries, nothing comes up at the National Archives.  What appears certain is that no unit by that name is listed at the start of the Great War.  An approach you may wish to consider is the RE Museum  http://www.re-museum.co.uk/contact-us/

Assuming his record is on line, are you able to post his name and number, there may be clues hidden in other visible parts of his record.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, his name is Michael Joseph Neylon, Sapper No: 12232. Does this help?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
His record shows he was Home from enlisting until 22/12/04, then in Africa from 23/12/04 until 16/4/09.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Seeing the original records always helps! The places he served are as Jebbers says.  The nuisance is that the units he served in are not immediately distinguishable but looking at the entirety of the record we find:

Jan 1903 signs on for a 12 year engagement consisting of 3 years active service followed by 9 years reserve service.  He is a mason and later documents show his testing at increasing levels of skill in that trade.

In March 1904 he is in Ireland with 54 Company and changes his engagement to 8 years with the colours.

In 1906 he is promoted Lance Corporal but reverts to Sapper in 1907 losing his good conduct badge on the way.

In 1909 what you saw as 58 Company 12 Battalion is not that, the RE were organised in companies not battalions (with a minor exception or two).  He is transferred from 58 Company to 12 Company

In 1911 he has now finished the eight years he signed up for and is transferred to the reserve.

In 1914 he is still on the reserve so when war breaks out he is recalled on 8 August and goes to France on  17 August 1914 with 11 Field Company.

His commitment ends in 1916 and he is discharged Jan 1916.

As far as finding out what he was doing, the war diaries for the period he was in France in 1914/16 are at the National Archives
 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=engineers&_ep=11%20Field%20Company&_nq1=australian&_nq2=canadian&_cr=WO%2095&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

We can't be sure that prior to the transfer from 58 Company in 1909 that that was the only company he served in after 54 Company in Ireland but it at least gives something to start with.

The period in Africa is more difficult and my feeling is that you will need the museum for that. There were a number of expeditions to Africa in the time frame, not major wars so history may have almost overlooked them.

That's a first quick look.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
That's so brilliant. It does answer two questions, firstly his whereabouts and secondly confirms he was home in 1909 as his daughter was born early 1910 in Limerick. However the mother was married to another man, Fritz Reginald King, as can be seen from Michael's war records and of whom there is no other trace. I cannot find a marriage for Michael and Mary Ellen either, but at least I now know it was possible he was the father.
Thank you all so much for the information, it is much appreciated

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Another snippet to add to the Limerick birth.

12 Company was stationed in Moore Park Fermoy when he transferred in 1909 and remained there until 1914.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 July 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the snippet as that also answers another question! I have been unable to trace his second daughter's birth  which was around 1913. I had presumed it must have been Ireland as they had moved to Burnley, Lancashire when he was re-called for the Army in 1914 and their third daughter was born there.
I have still been unable to trace his marriage  to Mary Ellen Gallagher and I am thinking that they perhaps never did get married!

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 July 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Margaret Neylon born 18 July 1912, mother's maiden name rendered as Galleghia, registered Fermoy.  (Irish BMDs) - looks likely.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk