Author Topic: How do you find a final resting place?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find a final resting place?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Newcastle library have a large collection of registers - only I don't think they have one for St James, Benwell or St Nicholas Church, Gosforth burials.

However, as I have said the first thing to do is to look for a death notice. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 July 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Journal 15 Dec 1943

Woodger, Kenton  21 The Riding, 14th Dec. Edwin (Teddy) dear husband of Ella Woodger Service Crematorium Friday 12 noon, private

The Newcastle papers for the 1950s are particularly difficult to search as the OCR is dire - mainly because the images are so blurry, but I'll search through and see if I can find anything for Albert

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Boo, regarding post 3 - if you ever need a look up for a North Tyneside burial just let me know - if you have the rough date and know area where they lived it shouldn't be too difficult for me to find for you for FREE! ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
Yep, though it made my eyes cross trying to read it :-)

Newcastle  Evening Chronicle 11 April 1959

Woodger Brunton Park 2 Polwarth Drive April 11 Albert dearly loved husband of Laura and devoted father of Mary, Yvonne and Billy. Funeral strictly private. No flowers or letters please.

Sorry Michael I could have looked last night but I'd spent hours trawling through old newspapers and my eyes just would no longer focus enough to do any more.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
Ladies, thank you all once again for your advice and offers of help, it's really appreciated.

Boo, thank you so much for finding that however I'm now wondering if the fact he was cremated rather than buried means there will not be anywhere to visit.

I know of close relatives who's ashes were buried, another who was scattered and another who is still at home with her husband. If Ella hung on to his ashes for a while it could be a difficult one to find if there is a place to go to at all.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Boo,

Thank you once again, that sounds like Albert was buried but doesn't give any clues as to where.

The brothers seem to have been extremely close and it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually near each other in the same cemetery. Albert's son Billy has a middle name of Edwin, obviously named after his brother as there doesn't appear to be any other Edwin's before him.

Yvonne's middle initial of Z is a mystery though, I can't even find out what it stands for let alone if it's for someone.

Thank you all again for the help.

Michael

Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Not sure, sometimes there is a plaque or there may be an entry in the Book of Remembrance - but only if the family chose to pay.
I've not see a B-O-R online for Newcastle area (or I would transcribe it as I did for Birtley and Saltwell, in Gateshead) Usually the B-O-R is open at the crem with the list for that day so it can be viewed, but I 'think' that its only for that day (usually in a glass case) and it means you'd have to visit on the anniversary of his death.

As for Albert, no clues in the notice about where the funeral/burial/cremation took place.

From TWAS User guide:
CREMATORIA REGISTERS
Newcastle (West Road): Registers 1934-1986; indexes 1934-1998 Ref: CE.NC (MF)
South Shields: Registers of cremation July 1961-May 1986 (MF)
Tynemouth: indexes to cremations 1959-1995; registers of cremation 1959-1995 (MF)
Whitley Bay Crematorium: indexes to cremations 1960-1995; registers of cremation 1960-1995 (MF)

Don't know if libraries would have those too.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
that sounds like Albert was buried but doesn't give any clues as to where.

Could still have been a cremation, the notice just said 'funeral', that usually refers to the service 'before' burial/cremation.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
I think any cremation for them would most likely be at Newcastle since they lived in this area.  I can't remember if Newcastle library might have such records.