Author Topic: William Collinson in 1911 - quick lookup please  (Read 2217 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Collinson in 1911 - quick lookup please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 July 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Do you think we can get some closure on the origins of young George Collinson, born 1867, the nominal son of William and Hannah Collinson?

-DC

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 July 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify on an earlier remark, Alan,

Did you mean to say that Jane Anne Collinson, on some family trees, is listed as the daughter of John & Isabella, not William & Hannah?  It has just occurred to me that that is thoroughly plausible given that we have been looking at surnames only (i.e.,  Collinson & Routledge).

I was just transcribing your info into my notes when I happened to see that John Collinson in 1871 is lodging with a family surnamed Moses and that there is a 17 year old daughter in the house named Isabella. Given the ease with which these people were changing surnames throughout their lives, do you think that this girl could be the Isabella that John married? It is only a matter of two months between the census and the wedding .

I was also wondering about John & Isabella King, who married in 1874.
Do you think that this could be John Collinson and Isabella remarrying at a legitimate age but doing so under a false name to avoid scandal?  Or is my imagination becoming too BBC?

-DC

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
1. Yes, Jane Ann Collinson is down on some familiy trees as daughter of John Collinson and Isabella Routledge. John and Isabella King, next door to Nicholas Routledge in 1881 have a daughter Jane H. King age 9 b. Tow Law with them, I suspect this is Jane Ann Collinson. Ann maybe Hannah or just mistranscribed.

2. I dont think that is the same Isabella (Routledge). There is an Isabella Routledge age 23 in Satley, b. Wolsingham in 1871. I think that is probably the right one.

3. No, that is Isabella marrying again. Either bigamously or due to the first marriage to John Collinson being annulled. Thats what it all looks like, but you would have to buy some certs to confirm definitively.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 July 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
That'll do me.

Cheers
-DC

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 July 18 05:41 BST (UK) »
Oh, one final remark, in case anyone's still there,

I backtracked on Hannah Routledge to see what her childhood looked like.
She is Hannah Davison in 1861 and has a sister Isabella, father Nicolson Davison.

I could not find a Hannah Davison or Routledge in 1851
(she was born Mar 1848-Mar 1849 according to later censuses)

This is a family that changed names several times, by appearances,
so must have had a lifestyle that required occasional changes of identity
(trying to find a nice way to say petty criminal).

Also tested the suggestion that George Collinson (1867) started life as George Davison or George Routledge but neither search turned up a result.

This is all sideline detail to my main area of focus, which is the life of John Collinson(1854),
so I am not bothered if no further data turns up.

Thanks, experts.

-DC