Author Topic: Dowse/Douse of Hampshire, England  (Read 915 times)

Offline Cjennmom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dowse/Douse of Hampshire, England
« on: Friday 20 July 18 03:33 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more about the Dowse family. My 3rd gr grandmother was a Mary Anna Dowse (m. Charles Horner). I was able to trace the family back to my 10th gr grandparents, Simon Douse and Prudence Ringe, married June 1628 at Saint Swithun Over Kingsgate, Winchester, and descended through their son Cuthbert. The family seems to have been based in Bishop's Waltham for a long time. Does anyone have any history about the family?
Scotland, England

Tracing back Cunninghams, Chalmers, Horners, Barbours and cousin lines.

Germany, Norway

Tracing back Schmidt, Bahruth, Wehringer, Partheymuller and cousin lines.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dowse/Douse of Hampshire, England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Using the Knighroots site I found Culbert-probably your Cuthbert marrying Elizabeth Colbourne 17/8/1755; Edwin Dowse marrying Elizabeth Houghton 27/4/1783; John Dowse marrying Mary Kill 12/6/1797. Simon and Prudence married 4/6/1628 by licence. On the FreeREG site there is a lot of information for the Dowse family.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Cjennmom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dowse/Douse of Hampshire, England
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I do not have a 1755-ish Cuthbert in my tree.  The Edwin Dowse I do have is too young to have married in 1783.  Maybe there are cousins with those names, but I haven't been able to find enough children on the line to flesh out a list of descendants.

The line of descent as I have it is Simon/Prudence to Cuthbert (wife unknown), Cuthbert to Thomas (wife unknown), Thomas to John (wife Jane Bay?), John to Edward (wife Rachel Bishop), Edward to Thomas (wife Ann Whitenham), Thomas to Peter (wife Mary Shawyer), and Peter to our Mary Anna who married Charles Horner in 1847.

Are you referring to http://knightroots.co.uk/ ?  I didn't find any Dowse or Douse on there.

Using the Knighroots site I found Culbert-probably your Cuthbert marrying Elizabeth Colbourne 17/8/1755; Edwin Dowse marrying Elizabeth Houghton 27/4/1783; John Dowse marrying Mary Kill 12/6/1797. Simon and Prudence married 4/6/1628 by licence. On the FreeREG site there is a lot of information for the Dowse family.
Regards.
Scotland, England

Tracing back Cunninghams, Chalmers, Horners, Barbours and cousin lines.

Germany, Norway

Tracing back Schmidt, Bahruth, Wehringer, Partheymuller and cousin lines.