Author Topic: George Clarke's Old House, New Home - Garston  (Read 2103 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Clarke's Old House, New Home - Garston
« on: Friday 20 July 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - can someone settle a family argument over the above TV programme. Now in my late 70s I lived most of my life in Garston, Liverpool, and my kids were all educated in that area. Although Imoved 10 years ago and my kids are now scattered, we were eagerly awaiting the George Clarke programme which is allegedly about a house in Garston. None of us can recognise the Art Deco semi that was featured (I grew up by the Garston docks). The 1930s semi reminded us of the posher parts of Allerton, Childwall or Woolton - we don't recognise which part of Garston it showed.

We spent most of the evening arguing about whereabouts in Garston such palatial palaces existed. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Lesley

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Clarke's Old House, New Home - Garston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 July 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
At one point during the programme when George Clarke was talking about the gateposts and the family who originally owned the land they showed a map which implied it was Garston Old Road.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Emelton - I do remember the bit about the gsteposts but must have missed the reference to Garston Old Road, which was (is) in Garston, though I don't remember such smart properties. I remember the road being near the library, though my (not very reliable) memory thought it was flanked by very smart but un-affluent terraced houses.

I will pass this information on to offspring and see what they remember - but I think this is the most likely location - wish I was still in Liverpool||

Thanks again
Lesley

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 July 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
There was a clue in the ownership of the area by the Darby brothers - Darby Road.
[When Garston was a separate local authority it covered as far as Jericho Lane and Aigburth Vale, before its incorporation into Liverpool.]
A

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 July 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
You can see a Google Street view of Garston Old Road at https://goo.gl/maps/GGtni1MDgCv

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
You can see a Google Street view of Garston Old Road at https://goo.gl/maps/GGtni1MDgCv
These are definitely the houses concerned. Son, whose friend lived in one never referred to it as Garston - used various alternatives such as Mossley Hill, Allerton, Aigburth, etc. Would like to see the history of such a house - did the fortunes of the owners rise and fall over the years?
Well, you have settled our argument - so thanks

Stan

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
It's Aigburth according to 1938 Kelly's
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk