Author Topic: William Snadon and Janet Edie  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Bates51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Snadon and Janet Edie
« on: Friday 20 July 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to solve the puzzle of who my grandfather's biological parents were. We know through DNA that his mother lied when registering his birth, when she said he was the son of her and her husband. He was born in 1875 at 9 Tarbert Street, Glasgow. It was a tennement, and I have studied the families that were living there in 1871.  Now my brothers and I have many DNA cousins who have Snadons in their family tree, and I can confirm that at least four go back to William and Janet, so I would assume, they are our ancestors too. We also have DNA cousins with Spowarts and Beveridges. The Spowarts are mainly from Torryburn, Fife. I know it's a really long shot, but is there anyone who traces back to William Snadon and Janet Edie, with connections to these other families, and have ancestors in Glasgow around the time of my grandfather's birth? The surname Blackwood is also another not so common name that comes up. There is also a possible mormon connection. We have many DNA cousins who descend from an American couple, who have to be our 3 x great parents, and the only logical connection is through one of their sons who were in Joseph Smith's 1st 12 disciples. (We are New Zealanders with no known connections to the States.) One, Orson Pratt was on the first mission to Scotland in 1839, and was there again in 1849, so I would guess that at that time he fathered one of my grandfather's parents. I know it's looking for a needle in a haystack, but any help would be appreciated.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Snadon and Janet Edie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 July 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Your grandfather's name would help.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Bates51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
I didn't think it would be of much help, but his name is Robert McConnell, and his "parents" were William McConnell and Rebecca Scott. Both were born in Northern Ireland, but the families were in Scotland for many years. They both were living at 9 Tarbert Street when they met, and were married from there, but they were not living there when Robert was born, so I presume the mother is someone they know from there.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
When did they marry & who were the witnesses?

May hold a clue?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Fifer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
I know it's a really long shot, but is there anyone who traces back to William Snadon and Janet Edie,

Hi, I have William Snadon and Janet Edie in my tree and they are my 6 x great grandparents. Their daughter, Elizabeth Snadon born 1751, married Andrew Bernard born 1744. Both Elizabeth and Andrew were born in Clackmannan, Scotland, from my records and they are my 5 x great grandparents.

I have recently received my DNA results and I also have found several relations with links to Salt Lake City / Mormon Church of LDS, through the surname Sharp from Clackmannanshire area of Scotland. Sharp family also feature on my tree. I'm based in Fife, Scotland.
Fife - Anderson, Farquhar, Graham, Greenhill, Hume, Paton, Sharp, Penman, Birrell, Christie
Edinburgh / Midlothian - Graham, Watt, Cunningham, Hume, Kerr, Farquhar, McAlpine, Weddell, Stirling, Liddell, Eckford, Finnie
Queensland, Australia - Greenhill
NSW, Australia - Anderson
California, USA - Watt
Alabama, USA - Watt
Missouri, USA - Farquhar
Quebec, Canada - Campbell
Alberta / British Columbia, Canada - Anderson

Offline Bates51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Is your DNA through ancestry? If so, we likely come up as distant cousins. My name on it is Diana Olsen. Quite a few Sharps and others went to Utah, but I am looking for someone who ended up in Glasgow. I definitely seem to have ancestors in Fife and Clackmannanshire, with common names like Hunter, Sharp, Simpson, Paterson etc, but also Beveridges, Spowarts, Snadon and Condie. Of course going back into the 1700s, you have numerous surnames, but I have to go back and then come forward to look where they all have a common descendant. Tedious work. If you see anyone in your tree that ended up in Glasgow, or may have known Orson Pratt, I would appreciate you letting me know, Jayne