Author Topic: Sarah Elizabeth Burrows, b 1887-1889; d 1953  (Read 2107 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Elizabeth Burrows, b 1887-1889; d 1953
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
Sally Nichols died in 1933, not 1935.

CADI: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKS9-ZT7M

Death Cert: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01meh/

====
The informant was Diane Burrows. Her parents are listed as John Burrows & Sarah Stephens.

She is divorced from Chester Nichols, whose name matches the destination name on the ships records for Dinah Burrows in 1930.

Dinah is listed on line 29 (at bottom) on images 744 & 745

Ship's List: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G5HH-9N27?i=743&cc=1923888

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
The Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles, California
Tuesday, September 26, 1933 - Page 24

Identification of the young women who leaped to her death from the Colorado-street bridre Sunday as Sally Nichols was established by two persons yesterday to the satisfaction of the Pasadena police. P. C. Black, Los Angeles attorney, at whose home the young woman was employed as maid, identified the body, as did Dan Colett;. to whom Miss Nichols penned her farewell note. Colette's address was given as the Warwick Hotel, 1511 North Wilcox avenue. Miss Nichols had been employed by the Blacks about two months. Black hed earlier expressed the opinion that the suicide victim might be the maid. Colette, according to the police, said Miss Nichols had threatened to end her life on several occasions previously.

Mrs. Diana Burrows, sister of Miss Nichols, who lives with her little girl in a cottage at 130 1-2 East Thirtieth street, said she had not identified the body and did not intend to "unless someone comes to fetch me there." Sally had been to see her last Thursday night and on that occasion was all broken up because she told her sister she did not see how she could live without the man she loved. "But young people talk likes that Mrs. Burrows opined with a heavy sigh. Little Diana, 'looking at the pic hires in a magazine on the bed in the room kept chanting, "Mamma, when will Sally come back?" "Hush, sweet." the mother begged. "Sally is never coming back she's in heaven now. Please don't ask mother any more questions, because I am feeling bad." Mrs. Burrows said Her sister had been married once.

The Pasadena police said it is unlikely there will be an inquest. When anyone jumps off the Colorado-street bridge, it is generally considered a closed case as soon as the identification can be made, police observed. Sally's was the forty-fourth such case.

====

Wilmington Daily Press Journal
Wilmington, California
Tuesday, September 26, 1933 - Page 8

IDENTIFY SUICIDE LOS ANGELES, Sept. 26. (U.R) The young girl who last Sunday night jumped to her death from Pasadena's "suicide bridge" was identified today as Sally Nichols, young stenographer. A disappointing love affair was believed to have led to her act.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Well done,RJ!!!

So very sad.

Maureen

Offline MomsandPops

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
I am completely overcome.... all this information, after so many years of wondering. I don't even know how to put this into words. Thank you, thank you, thank you -- from me, from my brother, from my mother whose sparkling and charismatic outlook on life was completely unique. And to think if my father hadn't decided to pass on that box of old papers, or you all who have been so helpful hadn't responded. Truly, a wonderful thing.

My mother's story of that evening was that she was asleep, and her mother came to shake her awake and said something had happened to Sally -- she could feel it. Dinah paced around all night -- my mother was 4, since the death happened in 1933 and not 1935 -- and she had remembered it very clearly -- and the news came in the morning.

And I had never heard the parents' names until now. Obviously, not the people I had identified.

I am headed back to my tree, to change all the incorrect guesses and suppositions. Thank you to RJ, and Suz, and Maureen -- and to my co-detectives, DNA cuzzes Sasha and Kezza! Wow.
Jan

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
this is brilliant information
It may be an idea to purchase Sarah Elizabeth (Sally's) birth cert to see who are named as parents
I cannot find a John Burrows Sarah Elizabeth Stephens marriage
Nor have I yet found sarah Elizabeth (the mother) in 1891/1901

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MomsandPops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 18 00:43 BST (UK) »
I've never found her in those two years, either. And haven't found the marriage. My mother used to call herself the first woman to get married in a long, long line of single moms.

In the calm of the day, instead of the emotional 2:30 AM moment, I reminded myself to slow down and start researching. And that grandma Dinah's absolute position was:  never tell them anything about the family. It was a survival position, I know -- so no problem with understanding it.
Jan

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
I meant Sarah Elizabeth (Sally) the daughter - not Sarah Elizabeth the mother x
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MomsandPops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 July 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thx!