Author Topic: silly sad old fool  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
silly sad old fool
« on: Friday 20 July 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
I sit here going through a pile of old wills.. and I am not in control.. weeping like a baby.. 

some of the wonderful phrases,   loving and bequeathing and all that.. to my Kin men..  and to my devoted wife.. oh my..

even when talking about the chamber pot.. ..

so lovely to read

They darn well had standards and they were worth having..

Now ... well !!!

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: silly sad old fool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Your not alone xinia

A 3x Greatgrandfather died Intestate,a Reverand & had a Farm.

I have a copy of an Inventory of the House and Farm Stock.I had a cry,imagining my  poor 3x Greatgrandmother watching everything  being counted and valued.Bless her
This happened 1796

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
Curious now what they said about the chamber pot  :-X

I remember my grandmother having one under the bed and this was in the 1960's but her toilet was downstairs so made sense.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Curious now what they said about the chamber pot  :-X

I remember my grandmother having one under the bed and this was in the 1960's but her toilet was downstairs so made sense.

ha ha -- I will find the one it was in later today .. :)

xin

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Wonderful Xinia! IMHO these kinds of documents really bring the past to life. One of the few I have is a seven-year 'apprenticeship agreement'  for one of my ancestors between his father and his Master, a "Perriwig-maker" in Mortlake in 1758. It brings home the conditions under which apprenticeships were served in those days.

BTW my family all had chamber pots under the bed until we got an inside loo (downstairs) in about 1966 :)

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
My grandparents had chamber pots.  They were called gazunders - because they gazunder the bed!!

Lyn

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
My Grandparents had them - which meant that I also had the use of such things when I stayed with them as a child.  They did have an outside toilet, which I doubt was used during the night.

Up until the age of six, the house my parents owned, also had an outside toilet. (Remember it freezing up in the winter!)

Also, bear in mind that some households shared the toilet/privy or whatever. !!!

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Inventories can tell us a lot about how our ancestors lived their lives. For one of my lot, a farmer who died in 1775, the entire contents of his house were valued at less than £4, but his two cows were worth £9.
A looking glass was worth 6d; the Lancashire pronunciation was written down for "four churs", worth 2 shillings.

A will from half a century later shows another direct ancestor really making efforts to look after his descendants.
The house was to be sold and the proceeds split equally between his children. The married sons just got the cash. Two daughters had already had advances on their inheritances. The relevant sums were deducted from their shares, but then promptly given back to the grandchildren.
The eldest (married) daughter was obviously favourite. She received, besides the cash share, all the farming implements and livestock, and also £4 from the Male Sick Society.
A codicil then made special provision for the two daughters who were not yet married. They were set up with looms so they could make a living, and enough furniture to set up a household. The one who had an illegitimate son had half of her cash share put into the Saving Bank in order to buy that child an apprenticeship.
Health insurance and a banking system in a sleepy agricultural village in Lancashire!
And all these people are named, so I know that the relationships I'd already worked out are right.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 July 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
ok   maybe it was a case of reading it too quickly because ----- I got two lines mixed up

but it was fun.. thinking about it?

xin