Author Topic: John Sitch  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Sitch
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi , I've picked up on the above gentleman who is a distant Grandparent, he was born in 1839 in Onger Essex and joined the 2nd Battalion, 20th regiment of Foot, East Devonshire. Service number 717. He seems a very interesting character, it looks like he was in the Essex Militia prior. From reading his record he seems to have ran into problems when he joined the East Devonshires and was court- martialed at least  twice. I've also found a newspaper article where he was sentenced to 1 months hard labour for "stealing a dead fowl". I was wondering would the court-martial documentation be saved anywhere, and has anyone got any other suggestions for unearthing anything more as his surname is fairly rare. Thanks in advance.
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Sitch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 06:00 BST (UK) »
You may already have this but in case not:

Examination of Invalid Soldiers, Tuesday 28th July 1863
John SITCH, age 24
Private, 20th Foot, 2nd Battalion
Total Service:  4 years & 7 months, with 3 years & 5 months deducted, equals effective service for pension: 1 year & 2 months. Worked out to 11 pence, and I think it says 'rejected'.
Conduct: Very Bad
Disabiltity or cause of Discharge: Asthma & Dyspnea able to contribute to. Unfit.
Place of Birth: Norton, Onger, Essex
Description: 5'9", Fresh Complexion, Dark Hair, Grey eyes

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 06:48 BST (UK) »
Yes had most of it , thanks anyway.
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
The only paperwork that survives in that regard would be an entry (entries!) in the on-line Register of Courts Martial on Ancestry (which come from the National Archives registers) and  as his name doesn't ring a bell for the off line registers, it looks as if you have all there is.  In any event, the registers are just that, a record of the charge, finding and sentence with no background.  The administrative paperwork that went with the trials have long since been consigned to the dustbin of history.  The National Archves guide is here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/courts-martial-desertion-british-army-17th-20th-centuries/

Another element, the lowest level of trial, a trial at regimental level, is also called a court martial and these don't even figure in the registers. 
You have got more than most for that time frame, perhaps the image of him being done for breaking into the equivalent of the local Kentucky Fried Chicken (Ye Olde Dead Fowle Emporium)and making away with his supper could suffice.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max, any idea what the Essex militia would have been used for?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
His time frame was 1855-1859.  The militia had only to report once a year for annual 28 day training camp unless embodied by the Crown for full time service for some reason.  Some militia were embodied during the Crimean War for service at home to release the regulars to the war.  He was in the West Essex Militia which a quick trawl of newspapers indicate was disembodied in June 1856 having been embodied 18 months.  Seems it was embodied on 1 January 1855 with many other militias as a consequence of the Crimean War.  Can't find any evidence that it, or elements thereof served anywhere but in Colchester in that time.  A spot check of newspapers up to 1859 produces no more embodiments that I can see, just reports of their annual training.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Max

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Max - Are you able to see any detail from his time in the East Devonshires, where they were based or anything ? 

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Do you have him on the 1841 census with his family?

two John Sitch reg in Ongar

Sept qtr 1838 MMN Blows
Dec qtr 1839 MMN Cavill

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk