Author Topic: No Death Registered  (Read 840 times)

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
No Death Registered
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Please help

I have found a burial for my 3x G Grandfather in Wolverhampton St Peters Burials
POLMAN. Philip. 40. 1 Feb 1848. Stafford Street. J.Osmond Dakeyne.

My problem is i can find no death registered for him, i presume that his death would have to be registered. 

Can anyone help,i have searched and searched and can still find nothing.

Thanks
kd
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: No Death Registered
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
The death should have been registered, but there are plenty of examples like this, especially in the early years of registration. The law allowed for burial to take place before registration, as it still does today. The person carrying out the burial service should have notified the registrar within 7 days, but it isn't that rare to find one that seems to have slipped through unregistered.

Don't discount the possibility he died in a different registration district though, or that the informant may have given his name or age differently.

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick reply.

I think he will always be elusive.

kd
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
it surprised me recently when consulting Belfast City Council Burials online to find several adult Wetheralls who do not appear on the GRONI or GRO Ireland death index and this was 1900-1930

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
I read a lot of inquests - and follow lots of "disasters" and "tragedies".... then I look them up - and it's quite surprising how often well documented cases of people dying in accidents, or murders, simply don't appear in the indexes. 

Maybe there's an "under the counter book" they were written in .... and nobody's twigged "aah ... we'll also need that other book won't we, the one at the back that we never use".
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
it surprised me recently when consulting Belfast City Council Burials online to find several adult Wetheralls who do not appear on the GRONI or GRO Ireland death index and this was 1900-1930

My reaction is the opposite, I'm surprised when a death is registered in Ireland. We didn't bother much with registering deaths it seems to me.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
I read a lot of inquests - and follow lots of "disasters" and "tragedies".... then I look them up - and it's quite surprising how often well documented cases of people dying in accidents, or murders, simply don't appear in the indexes. 

Maybe there's an "under the counter book" they were written in .... and nobody's twigged "aah ... we'll also need that other book won't we, the one at the back that we never use".

The deaths can't be registered until after the inquests, so could sometimes be months later, and not in the quarter you expect them to be.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 18 17:19 BST (UK) »

The deaths can't be registered until after the inquests, so could sometimes be months later, and not in the quarter you expect them to be.
I go up to 2 years after ... and use all manner of combinations and wildcards too. 
Many simply don't exist - and unless you hit several that you know MUST exist you don't realise how many are simply absent.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.