Author Topic: Preston Quarter Workhouse  (Read 250 times)

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Preston Quarter Workhouse
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
I have recently found out that a James Whinneray was born there in 1852. His birth certificate gives his mother as Jane but no father's details. On the 1861 he is listed as J Whinneray aged 9 and underneath is M Whinneray aged 6. Just found a birth for Mary WHINERAY (spelling keeps changing) in Bootle 1855 no mother's maiden name so I assume she is James' sister.

Would there be any records to show when they were admitted to the workhouse and further details about Jane as I have come to a brickwall with my research. I am researching James Whineray born (according to census information) in Ravenglass who married Mary Ann Telford but he gave his father's name as John (a joiner). I haven't been able to find son & father together so I wondered if he was illegitimate and made up a name when he got married.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this family

Jenny

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preston Quarter Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
The township of Preston Quarter was a constituent of Whitehaven Poor Law Union.

www.workhouses.org.uk has this to say:
Initially, the Whitehaven Union continued to use the existing parish workhouse buildings in Whitehaven (used for female inmates) and Preston Quarter (for males) each of which could accommodate around 200. A new workhouse was built in 1854-5.

Records:
Whitehaven Archive and Local Studies Centre, Scotch Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7NL. Holdings include: Guardians' minutes (1860-1931); Admissions and discharges (1893-1962); etc.

Nothing for your time period? :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Just my luck! Not sure if I can get any further back now....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
If this is James birth registration
Births Mar 1852 
WHINNERAH    James       
Bootle    10b   491

have you considered this 1851 census for his mother  :-\
HO107/2438 f106 p3
Jane Whinnerah
Age   25
Occupation Farmers Daur
Birth place   Millom, Cumberland
living with parents William & Sarah
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jenny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
 On James' birth cert his mother made her mark so I wondered if the Jane with parents William & Sarah would have been able to write. I've looked into that family and Jane goes on to marry a wealthy farmer. There is a really good family tree on Ancestry that shows that this family were "well to do".

I've just found a Jane Whinnerah aged 26 as a servant in Whitbeck on the 1851 census so I suppose that could be her. Perhaps I'll never know. Thanks for your reply.