Author Topic: Christenings from c. 1715  (Read 555 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Christenings from c. 1715
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

William Streater married Mary Smith in 1739 in Winnall. The marriage was recorded in the registers of St. John's Church in Winchester the next day, with William listed as Henry Streater - the name I know him as. The couple christened many children in New Alresford, which was Henry's parish for his marriage. Can anyone find christenings for William or Henry Streater and Mary Smith in around 1715 (both were given ages as 24)? Mary was of the parish the marriage took place in.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christenings from c. 1715
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Didn't manage to find what you were looking for, but I found some deaths for Streater on the Knightroots site for New Alresford Eleanor Streater 4/2/1694; Frances Streater 18/4/1719 and Martha Streater 18/4/1729. Have you tried the FreeREG site? Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 July 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Probably relatives then! Thanks. I have used FreeREG. I use it a lot nowadays but it doesn't have much for Hampshire I've found :(
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Just to link other threads where this Streater - Smith marriage has been discussed:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796936.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784006.0

Until you establish from the original record whether you seek William or Henry, it seems a wee bit unfair to ask others to look for a baptism - it could lead to mistakes.  Checking sources really is important.  You have been given what appears to be contradictory information by two different people, plus you noted something yourself.  I really would urge you to pause a while and check the original before pursuing the elusive Streater.  He's not exactly going anywhere!  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk