Author Topic: The use of "widow" spelling for a man  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The use of "widow" spelling for a man
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
I haven't come across it myself, but Joseph Wright's dialect dictionary mentions the usage and gives examples from Scotland.

See Vol.6, at the very end of p.487 - https://archive.org/stream/englishdialectdi06wrig#page/486

Thanks very much for this, most helpful

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
I've seen the term a couple of times on the census. May have just been lazy or they refer to all who have lost their spouse as a widow or they didn't know the difference. Perhaps they were just being early PC  ;)

One of my male ancestors was described on the census as a Window

Thanks a lot

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
A widow is the “modern inaccurate” or imprecise term used for a relict.
Both terms are/were gender neutral but as the language develops tended to become gender specific.

The older term Relict designated the surviving partner of a marriage, this term was used for both males and females. Another difference notable today was a person was a relict of their partner until they themselves died even if they later married.

A widow was again a gender neutral term but developed by use into gender specific (widow/widower) a further development stopped its use describing surviving partners who later married as such after their marriage.

It is part of the way language changes and adapts over time.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 July 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Also beware of people who call themselves widows or widowers when they are divorced and then their spouse dies.  The recent introduction replacing bachelor and spinster with single (for both men and women) leads to muddled thinking: it is vague, because people refer to themselves as single when 'not in a relationship', rather than the precise marital status definition.

Melbell

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 July 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
My 3rd G Grandfather is noted as Widow on his death cert.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 July 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
[Mike Munro]     

Yes.     

and "WIDOWr"     and "WID"     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
From my wife's tree, 2007.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 July 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Well we have quite a few examples of a man being described as a "widow" not "widower" . 

But the original question was about the phrase "the widow Munro" and to be honest I can't imagine this could refer to a man - unless someone knows different.

To refer to a woman purely in terms of their relationship with their husband was common.  Once married she was the wife of [say Joseph] Munro, her identity as an individual and name being discarded by society in favour of her new identity as a man's wife.  So after his death, she became known as "the widow Munro", probably few people knew her actual name.

So for a man who lost his wife, I can't see the same applying.  His identity had always been intact, he was Joseph or whatever Munro, a landowner or a shoemaker or a farm worker, he'd never been known principally by his marital condition, so why would he given a new " name" as "widow" after her death?
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 July 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Well we have quite a few examples of a man being described as a "widow" not "widower" . 

But the original question was about the phrase "the widow Munro" and to be honest I can't imagine this could refer to a man - unless someone knows different.

I disagree you are ignoring the context, which in such cases is material.
I agree his friends would most likely use his name or nickname but the context in this case is an official document

To refer to a woman purely in terms of their relationship with their husband was common.  Once married she was the wife of [say Joseph] Munro, her identity as an individual and name being discarded by society in favour of her new identity as a man's wife.  So after his death, she became known as "the widow Munro", probably few people knew her actual name.

Agreed, however the reason her names were discarded were because the two of them were on marriage one person or entity. He was liable for all her debts and living arrangements because they were one.

So for a man who lost his wife, I can't see the same applying.  His identity had always been intact, he was Joseph or whatever Munro, a landowner or a shoemaker or a farm worker, he'd never been known principally by his marital condition, so why would he given a new " name" as "widow" after her death?

The context of the quote was “two kirk session register mentions”. The clergy were fervent believers in the two becomes one principle. In addition the church would be responsible for providing for any wife of Munro so it was in their interest to rule out any claims by announcing he was a widow thereby ruling out any possibility of such a claim (as any such claim could lead to a counter claim of bigamy)

I am not saying Widow Munro was definitely a man but offering an explanation why the person could be refereed to in that way at that time.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.