Author Topic: Amalgamation of information on Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 868 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amalgamation of information on Dominic Michael Stringer
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
I am attempting torearrange the information I have discovered on my father in law  into a more rational format. I intend to post the same information onto the Lanarkshire here on rootschat and more information about his war experience in the appropriate forum. Here is all I know of his early life:
Name:       Dominic Michael Stringer
born:    14/4/1919 or 1922.  We have not been able to find a birth certificate in spite
                of trying every bmd website on line)
Married:    Evelyn Genevieve Agard 30/1/1943 Bridgetown Cathedral, Barbados
Died:   11/1986 Tower Hamlets, London
Mother    Unknown
Father:    John Patrick Stringer
Siblings:    Elder brother “Jack” possibly others
             He said he was brought up in Maryhill, Glasgow by his grandmother and he had a strong Glaswegian accent.  He claimed he was one of twins – other twin and mother died in childbirth.   He attended St. Joseph’s primary School and may have attended St. Aloysius College (he claimed he ran away when he found they were trying to make him a priest).  Although raised a Catholic he supported Rangers football team.  He knew a number for professional Glaswegian boxers and footballers. Other people he knew from Glasgow were John, Mary and Joe Gough.  He claimed he got into “trouble” and “Jack” helped him get away from Glasgow (date unknown).  In Glasgow he was known as Micky or Michael Stringer.

NOTHING ELSE IS KNOWN ABOUT DOMINIC’S EARLY LIFE.

Although he was brought up in Glasgow I believe he was born in Eire.  Would there be a record anywhere of his voyage to Glasgow?
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Amalgamation of information on Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Just a heads up that there have been quite a few previous posts re this eg http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751945.msg6003719#msg6003719
I have spent hours looking at this one.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel
It is because there are so many old threads on my father in law that I have tried to bring all info together to repost in case new members miss the old ones.
Deavin London and France

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Please do not keep repeat posting the same topic on different boards as this is confusing us all. You already seem to have a topic that has replies, if this topic is in the wrong board we can simply move it for you to somewhere where you request this way it keeps all the research together,

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I did ask first.  however until the threads are posted it is rather difficult to cross reference.   Please see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797158.0
Daisy1942
Deavin London and France

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
I have tried to bring all info together to repost in case new members miss the old ones.

Most people do a google search on names they're researching i.e. they will be directed to any post(s) you have with his name  ;)

It's always advisable to add links to other threads related to save people researching what's already been researched & known.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
I have read through the other threads on this subject, and there is a possibility that has been missed

If the date is possibly 1922, the birth may have been in Northern Ireland, and not RoI, and these births are not currently indexed anywhere - you need to go to the PRONI in Belfast in person.

The below Stringer births are showing from 1914 to 1918 - anything beyond this is not available online

U/1914/9/1002/34/498 Elizabeth Stringer 21st February 1914 Female Gillespie Armagh(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1914/61/1007/6/69 George Stringer 25th April 1914 Male Purdy Belfast(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1914/51/1007/68/124 Samuel Stringer 8th July 1914 Male Scillin Belfast(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1916/32/1006/46/249 William Stringer 4th May 1916 Male Whitton Banbridge(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1916/49/1007/151/173 Charles Stringer 12th June 1916 Male Kelly Belfast(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1917/9/1002/36/206 Gerald Stringer 13th April 1917 Male Gillespie Armagh(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1918/32/1006/47/245 Lilian Stringer 17th April 1918 Female Whitton Banbridge(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1918/61/1007/10/113 Margaret Stringer 17th April 1918 Female Purdy Belfast(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1918/50/1007/131/277 Elizabeth Stringer 10th May 1918 Female Filson Belfast(pre-1973 Q4) Enhanced
Full
Order certificate 
U/1918/59/1007/34/448 Pauline Stringer 20th July 1918 Female Cassidy Belfast(pre-1973 Q4)

I also looked for the possibility that his father or brother may have died in NI -
/1956/140/1018/37/70 John Stringer 26th November 1956 - aged 74
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
A search of the irish bmd also show the below possibiltys

John Stringer - born 1923, Death July - Sept 1945 - Doublin South - possibly the brother?

Another possibility is a Michael Dominic Rush - who's birth is registerd in Q3 1919 (May have been born in Q2?) - born in Swineford

Once the 1919 births are online for Ireland which probably won't be to 1920), you will be able to look at all Dominic births - and check for the exact date of birth

To tie into this - I looked for a brother John (commonly "shortened" to Jack in Ireland) also registered in swineford
There is a few
Q2 1925
Q4 1911 (Father is listed as Pat a farmer, mother Agnes Snee)
Q2 1914 (Father is Martin - so this is a no go)
Q4 1930

The only female Rush death in Swinford - death of child bearing age - was Kate Rush (Died Feb 1926)
Just a few possibilities for you
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)