Author Topic: RAC to 3rd Carabiniers - India/Burma  (Read 673 times)

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAC to 3rd Carabiniers - India/Burma
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
I have the Army Book 64 for a RAC Trooper. He was enlisted in February 1943 and has a 145***** number which is in he RAC serial used for enlistments after 1942.
The book says he was in the RAC from then until 11.9.46 and then he was in the 3rd Carabiniers for a year. He seems to have been in India or Burma from the beginning of May 1944. He had two periods in hospital in India and was awarded the Burma Star.
There is no indication of which unit he was in for his India/Burma service and I thought 3rd Carabiniers were part of the Royal Armoured Corps and, if so cannot see why the transfer of September 1946 was recorded?
Can anyone help?

Thanks
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAC to 3rd Carabiniers - India/Burma
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I'm working from memory here but as far as I recall it is as follow. The cavalry regts then in existence did not create extra squadrons in the same way as the infantry had extra battalions during the wars. They remained as they were albiet at war time strength.

To create more armoured units some infantry battalions were retrained on armour and became RAC regts. Possibly with nos rather than names. Their cap badge was the mailed fist with two arrows encircling it on each side and surmounted by the kings crown.

After ww2 they were disbanded and the last regt I know of to wear that cap badge was the Junior Leaders Regt RAC. We wore that badge until the  final term when we wore the cap badge of the regt we elected to go into.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)