Author Topic: Royal Irish Constabulary  (Read 634 times)

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Irish Constabulary
« on: Sunday 22 July 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, I recently bought a copy of Mr. J. Herlihy's book 'A History and Genealogical Guide to the RIC' and am now trying to obtain a copy of his other book, an Alphabetical List of Officers and Men.  Unfortunately, this book does not seem to be available at the moment.  I was hoping to see if my grandfather Joseph Orr is listed in it and if there is any information about him.  He joined the Force in 1886 at Armagh and his RIC number was 51846.  I wondered if anyone may have a copy of the Alphabetical List and if so, if they would be kind enough to have a look and see if my ancestor is listed and if anything is written about him.  Any information would be really helpful for some research I am doing.  With many thanks, Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Irish Constabulary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
Suggest you try https://irishconstabulary.com/
People there seem to have access to many resources.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 18 06:02 BST (UK) »
William Temple born 1894- RIC - Stokestown Rosscommon.
If anyone finds the RIC list could they look up Will Temple for me?

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 July 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
The RIC registers on FindMyPast are a good place to start.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk