Author Topic: Unsourced Ancestry Trees  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Unsourced Ancestry Trees
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 July 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
my crazy Levertons have all gone in the bin.. :(  and I am starting them totally again.. but it may mean an actual visit to Cornwall... as the Ancestry  stuff is all mixed up...

xin

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
Well my Wilson's of Co Durham have given me a huge headache. Co Durham has a high instance of the same surnames. I am sure on Heir Hunters they said that Scotland has a high occurrence of the same surnames which can make genealogy harder. And Co Durham is just 1 county apart from Southern Scotland.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Is there a.n. other hobby out there I could try ...  ::) ::) ::)  Kept Leaving the Hellyars , now I know why  ;D

xin

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
I find that it's so easy to be tripped up by Ancestry though. I think it happens when they change the algorithms that manage the data and hints, but I sometimes get some very aggressive hints suggesting information about my relatives that is totally wrong.

Sometimes it's very easy to spot, such as my impoverished ag-lab relatives fathering a child in Barbados 20 years before they were born.

Other times it's easy to be tripped up however. I've had to go through my hints with a fine toothed comb because the information seems like it might fit. Particularly if other people have added that information to their own trees. 
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
I've just found a ghost on the 1841 Census - via an Ancestry tree which has been slavishly copied by at least four other people.

This woman died in 1815, they all say.  The next entry gives her residence and occupation in 1841.

I accidently created a ghost on an Ancestry tree. It was the ghost of a man's 1st wife. He married 2 women with the same forename. I had all facts for both wives and entered them correctly on the tree. Every fact was sourced. Each source was added to each woman under her maiden name. Later I read the "Life Story" section. According to this, 1st wife was on a census 3 years after her death. The woman on the census was actually the recently married 2nd wife. I was sure I'd attached sources to the correct person. I know who was who even if Ancestry didn't. Coincidently, the women were born a few days apart in different countries. I then checked every "Life Story" to ensure there were no other anomalies. I've since added another man whose 2 wives had only 1 forename between them. I was extra careful with those women; didn't want another haunting.
Cowban

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 July 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
The Ancestry hints must explain why the wrong couple are listed on the census when closer inspection it gives totally different birthplaces and children's names. Namesake couples. Ie George Jarvis and Mary. The users get a "hint" of a George and Mary Jarvis and just accept it when in fact it is a totally different couple to the right one.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 July 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
The only hints with the right people have been those sources which I already knew about by doing my own research. The only fresh information is from other trees, which I note as being of interest, and photographs.
The information I have about the wives with the same name is all my own work! The husband seemed confused on 1911 census, or he was telling fibs. Luckily I already knew the truth. I have sources not on Ancestry! Btw someone has added this family to their tree and given them several more children in another part of the county. I worked out how they made the mistake.
I've got another man whose 2nd wife was his 1st wife's cousin; children of both mothers have same maiden surname. Then there are women marrying cousins of some degree who had same forename and surname as their fathers. I have a few sets like that and I got mixed up with one lot  :-[ but it was on a private tree and I quickly noticed the error.
Cowban

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 13:25 BST (UK) »

My Ancestry tree looks completely unsourced - but that's because it's the export of a bare gedcom from GR. I think I'll keep it that way.

My Ancestry tree is similarly apparently unsourced because uploading from FTM removed all images and my notes with GRO references to BMD certs.

My tree is a combination of mine and my husbands and is the product of over thirty years research, so has a lot of people on it and so it isn't feasible to go back and re-add all the sources to it.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 02:26 BST (UK) »
I've just found a ghost on the 1841 Census - via an Ancestry tree which has been slavishly copied by at least four other people.

This woman died in 1815, they all say.  The next entry gives her residence and occupation in 1841.

I have too but with extras...

I've just discovered my 2 x g g/mother b c1844 in Ireland and who according to her SP Death Cert. died 1898 in Scotland, miraculously appears in 1901 in Ireland with a husband & son who was born 1896 when gg g/mother was 52 yrs old (not impossible)...

She'd married under a different surname in 1861 to a chap who was born in 1861

Meanwhile by my research she had (at last count) 7 children (all illegitimate) between 1864 & 1881 (have all those BCs) some with father attending registry i.e. his surname on certs. the rest have her maiden surname...

Not sure where this hubby was in that period of 17 yrs of her having those 7 children but somehow reunited to have their son born 1896 a whopping 35 yrs after marrying in 1861 & that's only the tip of the iceberg as there's a multitude of wrong info. which I'm still wading through in disbelief  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"