Author Topic: Dress of a Georgian farmer  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dress of a Georgian farmer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 July 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
I just googled "Farming fashion in the 1830s" in images mode and there is a good image of two farmers in the 1830s...I can't post the link from the iPad.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 July 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
   Thanks, I will try that tomorrow - bed now!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Glad it helpful.  I think that they might have worn sort of chap style clothing that buttoned up from boots to britches sometimes depending on work maybe in fields.  Think longer style boots came in later in regency when men wore trousers rather than britches.

Drake and Sam Carne were both wearing them in last night's Poldark episode, set c1799. The Carne brothers were a lower class than your farmer. Ross Poldark was essentially a farmer. I've been paying attention to legwear in the series. Ross and George wear their riding boots indoors on TV; they remove their boots in the books.
A farmer, even a well-off one was unlikely to be wearing high-fashion. His outfits would have been made to last and to keep him warm and dry. He may have worn a greatcoat.
Cowban

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
   My daughter suggested looking at Poldark, which I haven't been watching. I wasn't sure of the date, but had a look at pictures of the series - they did all seem to be wearing boots, and my man would have been riding a lot I imagine, so it would be riding boots. I think I will get said daughter to draw a composite picture!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
The Poldark series of 12 novels begin 1783 and end c1820. Current TV series is book 7 and approximately half-way in chronological time. This series is c1797-1799.
Accompanying articles in Radio Times and on websites have items on clothes. There's a variety of fashions in dress, hairstyle, headgear and footwear in the TV adaptation, depending on age, rank, occupation and character of a person. Older men wear wigs, younger men don't. The main male characters have shorter hair than in the 1970s TV series.
There's quite a lot of farming in the first book. Ross's father was the younger son and inherited only a small part of an estate. Ross in turn inherited a run-down farm, a derelict mine and a few cottages. He spent the first year trying to make the farm function. He was a hands-on farmer in the early days.
 It's clear in the books that he wore outfits appropriate to whatever he was doing. A set of clothes was kept for the mine. There would be old clothes for farmwork  (maybe he wore a smock but it doesn't fit his image!) Probably 2nd-best clothes for riding into town on business or visits to neighbours, business associates, friends and relatives. He didn't attend church so didn't have a "Sunday-best". Important social occasions required meticulous attention to his appearance. Costume of the character on TV doesn't show any of that. He seems to have worn the same basic outfit for everything for 15 years, with a new waistcoat occasionally and a fresh cravat at formal events. He wears boots everywhere, even in the bedroom!

A neighbour and distant relative of one of my yeoman farmers was a prosperous farmer at the same time as your man so I'll be interested to see or hear your impression of him. This gentleman was co- founder of the district agricultural society. His name was frequently in lists of prize-winners  published in local newspapers, unfortunately before photographs. His father's estate was worth around £3,000 at his death in 1811. One of "my" neighbouring yeomen died a decade later with an estate worth "less than £1,000".
Cowban

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
  Poldark certainly never seems to wear anything but that long scruffy-looking coat! Also all the men appear to be wearing tricorn hats. As my man was farming for nearly 40 years, fashions would have changed a lot in that time, and as you say, different clothes for different occasions.
   I read the first 4(?) Poldark books many years ago, but don't remember much. I believe the rest were written after the success of the TV series.
   Thanks for everyone's interest.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire