Author Topic: Andrew Gonoude 1901 and 1911 Census  (Read 4474 times)

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Gonoude 1901 and 1911 Census
« on: Monday 23 July 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I am wondering if anyone can help me find someone on the 1901 and 1911 Census.

Andrew "Gunoode" was born 15/03/1870 in Tullamore, King's Co, Ireland to William "Gunoode" and Catherine Ryan.
He had at least one brother and two sisters (John b. 1876, Mary b. 1872 and Catherine b. 1878)

He married Margaret McGlynn sometime before 1891 (cannot find the marriage on Roots Ireland). They had at least two children: Mary Kate (b. 1891 and d. 1892) and Mary Ellen (b. 1895). Margaret then died. I am not sure when but it would have been before 1902 because in 1902 Andrew Gonoude (widower) married Ann Kelly in Dundee, Scotland.

Ann Kelly died in 1905 and Andrew married Elizabeth Russell McNamara (widow) in Buckhaven, Fife in 1906. Andrew died in Dunfermline in 1924.

So I am fairly certain he was in Scotland in 1911 and yet I cannot find him on the Census for that year. I know he was in Scotland in June 1901 because he was a witness at his brother John's wedding. However I cannot find John on the 1901 Census either, so maybe they arrived in Scotland after it was taken.I cannot find either of them on the 1901 Ireland Census though.

The two sisters Mary and Catherine and Andrew's daughter Mary Ellen are on the 1901 Census in Dundee, Scotland.

I have found John on the 1911 Census, in Inverkeithing with his wife Bridget and daughter Nora/Dora. Mary married Michael McCarthy in Dundee in 1902 and they were living in Buckhaven in 1911. Andrew's daughter Mary Ellen was still living with them. Catherine married John Kelly in Dundee in 1902 and they were still living in Dundee in 1911.

So can anyone help me find Andrew and his wife Elizabeth in 1911? And maybe Andrew and John in 1901? At first I thought I was just struggling to find them because I was mis-spelling the surname (I have seen lots of different verisons: Gonoud, Gonood, Gonoude, Gonoode, Gunoode, Genood etc) but I have tried every spelling I can think of and cannot find what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Gonoude 1901 and 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Might Andrew have been in the army? There are a couple of service records for an Andrew Gonoude of the right sort of age born Tullamore and dated 1893 and 1900. The latter gives an address of 42 West Port, Dundee.

There are also service records for a John Gonoude b Tullamore about 1878/9 and also with an address of 42, West Port, Dundee.

You might also find it worthwhile to search for the surname Gonoude in the British Newspaper Archive in the county of Angus. One article states that an Andrew Gonoude attempted to enlist under the false name of James Ryan in1897,having previously been discharged from the Connacht Rangers as unfit for service.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Millmoor,

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask where you found the service records for Andrew as I cannot see any on Ancestry? I did find the ones for John though.

I guess I didn't realise they wouldn't appear on the Census if they were serving at the time. Would Andrew's wife Elizabeth not still be on the 1911 one though?

I'll take a look at the British Newspaper Archive. Thank again.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
The service records are on FindMyPast.

The British Newspaper Archive can also be accessed via FindMyPast. It is certainly well worth a look. Bridget seems to have got herself into a spot of bother after  the death of John.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Jolenearead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 19 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I’m in a similar pickle to be honest. However it appears to our family now that my great great great Grandad, Andrew Ryan, was possibly Andrew Gonoude. I can only find census records for an Andrew Ryan and in one dated 1911 he is apparently living in the same building as John Gonoude, Bridget Gonoude and a Dora or Nora Gonoude aged 1. I however can not find any legal documents for an Andrew Ryan but he is named on my great great grandads death certificate (but from what we can find he wasn’t his birth dad) but at this moment, because of the lack of information and records we are unsure. We believe he may have married and Elizabeth Ryrie (who was previously Mcnamara and McGeary) also what we’ve found is she was actually born Elizabeth Bushell but her mother married William Ryrie. I hope you too could assist me with this brick wall as we’re now unsure where to go. My granny always told my mom her grandad Andrew Ryan came from county Kerry but again we can’t find anything to support an Andrew Ryan coming from there and ending in Inverkeithing.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 June 19 03:43 BST (UK) »
The only Gonoude or similar I could find free on the internet:

Angela
Gonoode
Balliboy and Killoughy
Offaly (King's)
Timothy
Marg

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 June 19 09:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Jolenearead.

You probably have these already but I note on Scotland's People the death of Elizabeth Gonoude with other names  Ryan and Ryrie in Dunfemline in 1950 and the marriage of Andrew Gonoud to Elizabeth Bushell/ McNamara in Buckhaven in 1911.

Looking at the free index of the valuation rolls on SP there are entries for an Andrew Ryan in Inverkeithing in 1915, 1920  and 1925. The 1920 entry has an Andrew Ryan as tenant occupier at Burnside Buildings, Inverkeithing but 1925 has Mrs Andrew Ryan as the tenant occupier at the same address. ( The 1930 and 1935 valuation  rolls have an Elizabeth Ryan at 6 High Street).

The death cert for Andrew Gonoude states he died in West Fife Hospital, Dunfermline but gives his address as Burnside, Inverkeithing which matches with the address quoted above.

William

Offline Jolenearead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi both :)
Thanks for your replies. I too have found that, I’ve since discovered a newspaper article for an Andrew Ryan of Inverkeithing who died in the same way as Andrew Gonoude. It was a fatal accident at Rosyth dockyard and is the same date. It appears our Andrew Ryan is in fact Andrew Gonoude, but went by his mothers maiden name on the census records and valuation rolls. What keeps puzzling me is his parents names on his marriage to Elizabeth and his death certificate state his father as Andrew Gonoude and his mother as Catherine Gonoude nee Madden but on everything else they are William Gonoude and Catherine Gonoude nee Ryan. The saddest fact we’ve found is, it appears our family did not know he was not our James Ryan’s father as they all took the name Ryan and is still being giving to descendants (as well as Andrew) my gran even told my mother when she was younger that one day she would take her to see where her grandad came from in Kerry (this never happened, my granny passed away when my mom was 25)
So I know that Andrew Gonoude came here and married our Elizabeth Mina Bushell Ryrie (again the marriage license has her as Elizabeth Russell Ryrie and has her real father on it this time) in 1906 but why the altered parents names? Hmmm it’s a puzzler!!!!

Offline Jolenearead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 June 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
Also, I hadn’t yet searched for a death of Elizabeth Gonoude as I knew Elizabeth Ryrie dies in 1950, but I’m going to check it, see if I can get more information. Thank you so much!

I should also note there is a grave in Inverkeithing which has Andrew Ryan 1924 aged 50, Elizabeth Ryrie 1950 aged 73 and John Ryan 1967 aged 63!

We’ve discovered that John was also not Andrews but he was in fact a McGeary but his father passed away.

Elizabeth was a very busy woman! There is no fathers name on my great grandads birth certificate. In 1918 there is school discharge papers for a James and John Ryan signed their father Andrew Ryan in Inverkeithing.