Author Topic: Help. My head is stuck in Cement because of these Ancestors!!!!  (Read 3928 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help. My head is stuck in Cement because of these Ancestors!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 18 05:54 BST (UK) »
Glad to see you back Sue.
Do you have any thoughts re Annie Pickering /Thomas Tierney?

I posted that information as I thought it could be relevant because of the Royton connection; the Barnes connection and the marriage name.
1871 Mary Hannah Booth b Royton living with the Barnes family
1881 -ditto-
No trace thereafter of Mary H Booth (I don’t think)
1891 - Annie Pickering born Royton but married to James, of whom there seems to be no trace before or after.
1901 -Mary Hannah Pickering b Royton with Emmanuel
1911- Annie Tierney b Royton with Thomas
1919 marriage Thomas Tierney and Annie Pickering
1939 Mary H Tierney

Possible death of Thomas Tierney in 1941 but unfortunately Mary Hannah/Annie doesn’t seem obvious and this is the information you seek.

I accept it may not be relevant but I thought it worth some consideration or at least an acknowledgement. I was quite excited to see the possibilities.   :o

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Heywood,
I very much appreciate all your efforts and suggestions. I didn’t acknowledge sooner as I have been away from my computer out of the city for a few days. No phones, social media etc. This week I will review your new information and advise. Please again my most sincere thanks to you and everyone for the help as I am trying so hard.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
No problem. It was just that you had posted earlier today and I didn’t want you to miss the info I had posted.  :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
Baptism: 10 Mar 1895 St Philip, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
 Elsie Mary Pickering - Daughter of Emmanuel Pickering & Annie
     Born: 12 Feb 1895
     Abode: Russell Place Great Harwood
     Baptised by: J. O. Pinck
Baptism: 31 Jan 1897 St Bartholomew, Great Harwood, Lancashire, England
 Cyril John Pickering - Son of Emmanuel Pickering & Annie
     Born: 21 Dec 1896
     Abode: 2 Railway View
Baptism: 5 Jun 1898 St Bartholomew, Great Harwood, Lancashire, England
 Walter Norman Pickering - Son of Emmanuel Pickering & Annie
     Born: 8 May 1898
     Abode: 2 Railway View
Baptism: 14 Oct 1900 St Paul, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
 Herbert Pickering - [Child] of Emmanuel Pickering & Ann
     Born: 5 Aug 1900
     Abode: 6 Alma St.

looks like he was demoted as Mill Manager and back to a Weaver - I don't know if any of the addresses are of any use to you ...but I can tell you they are mentioned in Great Harwood Historical Society   the middle 2 records were supplied by them ...
maybe get in touch with them ?
 ADDED

have a look through this to see if anyone is researching Pickering

http://www.great-harwood.org.uk/about/people/Family%20History/emails.htm

First 3 were children of Emmanuel Pickering, mill manager and his wife Annie Waring, formerly school teacher. Marriage 31st Jan. 1894 St. Mark the Evangelist, Witton. Emmanuel was 28, Annie 27.  Emmanuel's father was John Pickering, draper. (LAN OPC)  Births registered in Great Harwood sub district, mother's maiden name Waring. (Lancashire BMD)

Herbert Pickering's parents, Emmanuel and Ann, married at St. Paul, Blackburn 19th April 1900. Emmanuel was 28, a weaver, bachelor, abode Alma St. His bride, Ann Hodgson was 23, also a weaver, spinster, abode Johnston St. Emmanuel's father was Thomas Pickering, deceased, spinner. LAN OPC) Herbert's birth was registered Blackburn 1900. (Lancashire BMD) I couldn't find any other children of this marriage.

Death of an Emmanuel Pickering aged 53 was registered in Blackburn Southern sub district 1909.
An alternative spelling of Emmanuel is Immanuel. Oswaldtwistle parish church is Immanuel.
Cowban

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 July 18 02:08 BST (UK) »
After reviewing all your suggestions, I think that maybe the Barnes tip from the 1871 Census maybe a good area to search further!!

Also again I'm asking for opinions and advice, I know 100% for sure my Emmanuel Pickering died in a workhouse in 1909 and is buried in Blackburn Cemetery, so assume there was a Blackburn workhouse. To refresh the story of this family, from newspaper reports the 4 children were taken from the parents in 1906 and sent to a workhouse. From 1906 to 1909 at some point Emmanuel ends up in a workhouse and dies there. So, what happened to Annie Pickering (Mary Hannah)? Did she go into the workhouse to. Maybe I can find a way to search the Blackburn workhouse records for admissions?

Next and please bear with me, the youngest child, Rebecca Pickering born in 1900 (my husband's Grandmother) after being sent to Canada in 1913 with her sister Mary, years later in 1927 returns to Oswaldtwistle with her 2 children, Dorothy Mae (Husband's mother) and her son Robert Johnston after marrying in Canada. When they arrive, they stay with Rebecca's brother Robert and work in the cotton mill as weavers but live in Oswaldtwistle,.until after the until after the war (date not confirmed). My husband's Mum who is 94 remembers a lady she called Grandma Pickering (Annie). She can't remember what year they returned to Canada, after the war 1945-1950 but when she left, she is adamant that Grandma Pickering was still alive.

I found Rebecca Pickering and her son Robert on the 1939 National Register living at 1 Walkden Cottages, Oswaldtwistle  her married name was now Johnston (1st husband) 2nd (Miller ) but no mention of Dorothy Mae (husband's Mum) and a few doors down the Uncle Robert Johnston lives at 7 Walkden Cottages with his wife.  If Annie was still alive in Oswaldtwistle around the 1940's and her DOB was around 1865 she would have been in her 80's, so how many Annie's could there have been living in Oswaldtwistle??  I am going to try and find the workhouse in Blackburn and see if I can request a records check if possible, check cemetery records, and try working back.

Again thank you for all the support and suggestions. I need a few days to review all your information and again I will be away over the weekend, but come Monday morning I will be back at it.

You are all lovely, kind people, so keeping my fingers crossed I will not give up. You have all given me a boost of energy to get back it and keep searching.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Cheers,

Offline seanpmiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 July 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hey there I am so sorry! I'm not used to using sites like this and I didn't realise what I had to do! If there's anyway we can still speak I'm still in full contact with all direct decendants of John Durkin, our family home is rich with tokens from the families past and my grandmother is still living!(John's wife) would love to connect, please try to reply! Search for me on Facebook if you have to!

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
After reviewing all your suggestions, I think that maybe the Barnes tip from the 1871 Census maybe a good area to search further!!

Also again I'm asking for opinions and advice, I know 100% for sure my Emmanuel Pickering died in a workhouse in 1909 and is buried in Blackburn Cemetery, so assume there was a Blackburn workhouse. To refresh the story of this family, from newspaper reports the 4 children were taken from the parents in 1906 and sent to a workhouse. From 1906 to 1909 at some point Emmanuel ends up in a workhouse and dies there. So, what happened to Annie Pickering (Mary Hannah)? Did she go into the workhouse to. Maybe I can find a way to search the Blackburn workhouse records for admissions?

Next and please bear with me, the youngest child, Rebecca Pickering born in 1900 (my husband's Grandmother) after being sent to Canada in 1913 with her sister Mary, years later in 1927 returns to Oswaldtwistle with her 2 children, Dorothy Mae (Husband's mother) and her son Robert Johnston after marrying in Canada. When they arrive, they stay with Rebecca's brother Robert and work in the cotton mill as weavers but live in Oswaldtwistle,.until after the until after the war (date not confirmed). My husband's Mum who is 94 remembers a lady she called Grandma Pickering (Annie). She can't remember what year they returned to Canada, after the war 1945-1950 but when she left, she is adamant that Grandma Pickering was still alive.

I found Rebecca Pickering and her son Robert on the 1939 National Register living at 1 Walkden Cottages, Oswaldtwistle  her married name was now Johnston (1st husband) 2nd (Miller ) but no mention of Dorothy Mae (husband's Mum) and a few doors down the Uncle Robert Johnston lives at 7 Walkden Cottages with his wife.  If Annie was still alive in Oswaldtwistle around the 1940's and her DOB was around 1865 she would have been in her 80's, so how many Annie's could there have been living in Oswaldtwistle??  I am going to try and find the workhouse in Blackburn and see if I can request a records check if possible, check cemetery records, and try working back.

Again thank you for all the support and suggestions. I need a few days to review all your information and again I will be away over the weekend, but come Monday morning I will be back at it.

You are all lovely, kind people, so keeping my fingers crossed I will not give up. You have all given me a boost of energy to get back it and keep searching.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Cheers,
There is one redacted ( obscured) entry showing on the household of Rebecca Johnston/Miller in 1939. This will presumably be Dorothy Mae who was born less than 100 years ago and is still alive. Rebecca Miller returned to Canada in 1948 according to shipping records. Dorothy Mae, now W following 194o's marriage, is on the same sailing with young baby daughter, both have previous addresses in Blackburn.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of things,

I would look at the Tierney/Pickering marriage - even if only to eliminate from the search. It may be just coincidental that Annie/Mary H is born in Royton in the appropriate quarter as Mary H Booth but you never know.

When the Johnston family arrived in 1927 they were going to 49 Crabtree Street Blackburn. This is nearer the addresses of the Tierneys from 1911 and 1939 and indeed you are only looking at 3 or 4 miles between Oswaldtwistle and the  Blackburn address.

Heywood

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 July 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
There is another possible for Mary Hannah Barnes. Born 1864 in Oldham mmn Ogden. Appears in 1871 census with parents Isiah And Elizabeth nee Ogden and sister Miriam ( born 1857). A few trees for Miriam on Ancestry. Miriam married in 1883 at St Thomas, Werneth and Mary Hannah was a witness. Isiah and Elizabeth are on their own by 1891.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)