Author Topic: Our Lady of Lourdes (Didsbury Lodge) childrens home 357 Wilmslow Rd Mcr  (Read 1880 times)

Offline meely

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My dad & 2 sisters were living here 1932. Younger sister died aged 2yrs. Have made enquiries about this home but have been told that there was no centre at the given address. The death was in the newspaper, and describes her as having been living at the Catholic Childrens Rescue Centre since 1932. The death cert gives place of death as 357 Wilmslow Rd on 25/12/1933. Pls can anyone shine any light on this? Was there an "overspill" into this buiding? There are 2 other RC homes further up the Road, but not the confirmed address. Thank you for any help. I only want to straighten it in my head. This child lost her mum at birth, had a father who was unable to care for the family, and then had no name on the public grave headstone. I would like to be able to acknowledge that she did actually live.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Our Lady of Lourdes (Didsbury Lodge) childrens home 357 Wilmslow Rd Mcr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If you have access to the 1939 Register you could look up the address of 357 Wilmslow Road to ascertain the use of that building.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
Link to documents available from TNA -

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2277416

JJ

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Entry in Kelly's Dierectory for 1940. Note there are no house numbers given for premises between 355 and 401, which may have thrown earlier searches out a bit:

"355 Tansley David Thos
Here is Wingate Drive
Central Electricity Board District Office (Rt Blackmore  MIEE Mngr) (Grid Ho)
Catholic Rescue and Protection Society (Our Lady of Lourdes Home) (Rev. Mother Basil in charge) (Didsbury Lodge)
McLoughlin Edwd W, Gardener (Didsbury Cott)
Here is Parrs Wood Rd South
401 Naylor, Stanley, pastrycook"

Hope that helps
 :) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meely

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help..JJen I did try the 1939 register, and found some useful info. I will also use the link you submitted.  I know my dad and his sisters wern't happy there, as much as my mum wasn't happy in Nazareth House, but I don't want to focus just on that part of their short lives. They "let it lie",  and so shall I. In tracing family tree, however, I don't just want to get as far back as poss (a bonus!) I want to try to find out about their lives, and characters.
Also, Barbara, I see what you mean re the lack of house nos poss confusing things. Anyway, thank you again  ;)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
This 1934 map shows Wilmslow Road between Wingate Drive and Parrs Wood Road
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/385229/390475/12/101328
It looks as though 357 was the Children's Home, and McLoughlin Edwd W, Gardener (Didsbury Cott) will be the Lodge. Change the zoom level with the - + in the top left corner.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancaster.jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
The [Salford Diocesan] Catholic Rescue and Protection Society is now part of Caritas Diocese of Salford.  It will have recent records but old records were deposited with the now-defunct Salford Diocesan Archives.
Caritas Diocese of Salford has a website  www.caritassalford.org.uk and this has a contact link.  There is also an email address inof@caritassalford.org.uk

Offline lesleyY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 January 20 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meely - The modern address for the house is 823 Wilmslow Road after the re-numbering. It is still there, though has undergone a huge rebuild in the last couple of years and I don't think it is a children's home nowadays but it was certainly active as one till about 10 years ago. It is the property on the left corner of the entrance to Wingate Drive if you look on google maps. For many many years was run by the extraordinary Sister Lucy...probably until she retired.  I recall they kept a massive number of guinea pigs in the garage that just kept on breeding. The garage is still the same today and can be seen on google street view if you head down Wingate Drive, it is behind the property built of brick. We were neighbours and we were always welcome to come and play at the home and Sister Lucy didn't mind looking after us if my mum had  errands to do. Wingate Drive was a constant playground back then with so many kids living in the private houses in addition to the children's home, all playing in the street. There were no parking restrictions or double yellow lines back then.  At the far end of Wingate was a passage through to Francis Convent. The last house on Wingate also belonged to Catholic Rescue and was where a 'father' lived , some kind of rectory, but we never played up there. The younger children's home kids all went to went to St Catherines Primary School on School Lane. So the address you have is correct for the time that the document was written, but as more properties were built it was necessary to re-number Wilmslow Road at some stage, and before I moved in to the area. My memory of the house was that is was bright light and airy and there were several long term kids resident there for much of their young lives. Sister Lucy was kindness itself. I recall her baking a cake for my parents wedding anniversary and getting my sister and I in to decorate it (as if she didn't have enough to do already.) We also got invited to go on  coach trip outing with her and the children in her care, to see a Panto one Christmas. The one and only time I ever went to a Panto.
ancestry in Aberdeenshire, Banff, Kent, Kincardineshire, Moray and West Yorkshire.

Offline SeanG28

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Well this is a blast from the past, I was doing some research to find my little brother, this childrens home was the last address we both lived at together. I remember Sister Lucy was incharge I don't really remember any of the other staff as we were not that close. I remember going to church with her every Sunday, I have some very fond memories from my time there it was from around 1998 for roughly 4 years. Could anyone help with this please.