Author Topic: James Steel, Mariner, b. 1809, in Sunderland, Durham, England  (Read 1282 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: James Steel, Mariner, b. 1809, in Sunderland, Durham, England
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Erik.
I cant find any James Steel born c 1809 Sunderland, Durham on 1851 Census or later.
When/where/who did he marry?
I presume after Sept 1837 for you to know is Father was a John, what was Johns Occp?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline eaasland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, thanks so much for taking a look. Sorry, I should have provided a bit more information.

As far as I can tell, he was a mariner all his life, starting as an apprentice in 1825. On April 16, 1844, he marries Ann Hester, at Christ Church, Watney Street, London. In 1851 he obtains his Mates Certificate, which provides his date of birth as August 15, 1809, in Sunderland, Durham. A second record of his time in the Merchant Navy also confirms his date and place of birth as August 15, 1809, in Sunderland.

The Mates Certificate shows that he was likely at sea when the 1841 and 1851 censuses were taken. I cannot find him in the 1861 census (maybe at sea), but I have found his wife Ann and their children living at 35/36 Wellington Street in Stepney. His Mates Certificate of 1851 also shows his address at 35/36 Wellington Street in Stepney. At the time of his marriage in 1844 he is living in St George in the East. So, sometime between 1825 and 1844 he moved to London.

The marriage registration records his father as John Steel, a carpenter. When all James and Ann's children married, they gave their father's name as James Steel, mariner. He dies on June 26, 1872, at 240 Oxford Street in Stepney. He was buried on July 4, 1872, in Tower Hamlet Cemetery in London.

My thinking is that he must have siblings, as I don't think it was too common to have just one child back in those days. He did start sailing at a young age that's for sure, but probably not too uncommon in those days either.

Thank you so much for any help, even just trying to figure out which parish he would have been baptised in would be helpful!

Erik

PS, He does show up in the 1871 census with his family. He is 61 years old and living at 240 Oxford Street.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Erik.
I cant find any James Steel born c 1809 Sunderland, Durham on 1851 Census or later.

In 1871 he is living at 240 Oxford Street, Tower Hamlets, RG10/558/96/9
His birthplace appears to have been entered as Durham, and, unhelpfully, the word Northumberland has been added later  :-X Hence the confusion.

Erik, like trish I’ve so far been quite unable to find any baptism for James.

Offline eaasland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Thank you so much for taking a look, I am grateful as it's hard to know which parish he would be from. I though it would be a long-shot :(. I am starting to wonder if he might have been born out of wedlock and if the name and occupation of the father are made up. I'll have to do some more 'digging' to see if something else comes up.

Thank you again!

Erik

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
With a bit of lateral thinking I looked for Steel Marriages 1842+/- 5 years on London, with Father as John.

These may be worth pursuing;

30 Dec 1843
St James, Paddington
Ann MORGAN, Full age, Widow, Father JOHN Steel, Carpenter
William GLOVER, Full age, Bachelor, Coachman

9 Oct 1842
Parish Chapel, St Pancras, Camden, England
Ann STEEL, Spinster, Father JOHN a Carpenter
William Mackenzie WARREN, a Painter

Either could be a possible Sibling of James?
May be worth trying to track them on Census?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
This looks to be Ann Morgan nee Steel with Husband William Glover in Middlesex in 1851;
William Glover, 51, Cab Proprietor
Anne Glover, 51, born Windsor, Berkshire
William H Morgan, 2, Grandson

So maybe not a sibling given her POB.

Or this one either, darn it!

1851 Census
William Warren, 29
Ann Warren, 34 born Winchester, Kent****
Ann E Warren, 5
Charlotte Warren, 3
Caroline H Warren, 6 mths

WARREN, CAROLINE  HARRIET, Mothers mn STEEL***
GRO Reference: 1850  D Quarter in ST. JAMES CLERKENWELL  Volume 03  Page 11

1861 she is Amy Warren born c 1817 Winchester, Hampshire.

Offline eaasland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks so much for the information on the two possible siblings, too bad they don't seem to match based on their places of birth. You may well be onto something there. Perhaps James and his father John (as well as his mum) moved from Sunderland to London, and not just James.

I'll take a closer look at this too. My understanding it was often the case that if a child was illegitimate then he or she was baptised in a neighbouring parish, rather than in the one of his or her birth. I'm just not sure how wide spread this was, and if James was even illegitimate?

Thank you again!

Erik

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
I don’t think you should necessarily assume that, because you can’t find a baptism, James was illegitimate. Many baptisms, especially from small non conformist places of worship, are yet to be indexed. It is also possible that he wasn’t baptised. I’m sure it did happen.

Equally possible could be that he was born in Sunderland and baptised elsewhere. I have one person in my tree who was born in Scotland and baptised a few months later in County Durham. I myself was born in Middlesex but baptised in County Durham.

Offline eaasland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 July 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen, that's good to hear, so maybe there is a baptism record tucked away somewhere just waiting to be digitised. That would be nice to find of course. I'll just keep at it, might be time to study the map a bit more too!

Thank you for your help.

Erik