Author Topic: My Heritage DNA contacts  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
My Heritage DNA contacts
« on: Tuesday 24 July 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
I've recently uploaded my DNA data (fromAncestry) to Gedmatch, ftDNA and My Heritage. I've also uploaded my tree to My Heritage and Gedmatch. Regarding My Heritage I have found a couple of close matches that do not occur elsewhere and have sent messages (on the site) to them. So far I have had no response at all, unlike the results from the other sites. I have not joined My Heritage by paying a subscription, and therefore realise that I cannot use their hints and sources; nor can I confirm some of the hints, or invite others to my site. I am getting the feeling though, that the messages are not getting through either, although the site says they have been sent. Does anyone know if this might be the case, and that no contact via the site is allowed by those who have utilised the free update service?

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage DNA contacts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
You've done exactly the same as I have done. Sometimes people will reply and sometimes they don't. Usually it's the really important ones that you desperately want to hear from you don't reply. Some people get given DNA tests as presents, and really have no interest in it at all. I think they probably just do the test to placate the present giver. It is very frustrating. Uploading your own full or partial tree as you have done, might encourage people to reply, and also might encourage other people to find you.  Also some people have their DNA tested for  Family medical reasons, and have no interest at all in contacting others or being contacted by others.

My kit number is on the left, and if we match and you contact me I promise I will reply.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Steve

I sent a message to three matches on My Heritage who weren't  subscribers and they were able to reply.  I've found with Ancestry that I get about a 30% response rate*.

I think that, as mentioned by Martin and discussed on many other threads, many people do their dna to get their ethnicity estimate or use the  free tree software.

Try again as the message from My Heritage telling them they had a message might have gone into their spam folder.

Gadget

* correction~  50% - I forgot I've had some more replies about my recent finds
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, trying again is a good idea, but I think leave at least two weeks between tries, in case someone is away on holiday (I can't wait to try someone again next Monday!  I am trying to tie the first 25 years of someone's life to my great grandmother, and a certain reply could clinch it.)  I'd also recommend doing some research on what to put in a contact email.  "You only get one chance to make a first impression".  I wish you could attach wine, chocolates, cheese or flowers to emails.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Just looked in at my messages on My Heritage. There is an opt in for getting an e-mail notification of messages so the person you're trying to contact may not have that option ticked.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
I've sent and received messages on My Heritage DNA and I don't have a subscription.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Gadget, that is worrying.  Where exactly is that option?

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
I went into  messages and clicked on Settings.  I've not looked at it before so it might default to e-mail but obviously it is possible to turn off.

Gadget

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget and Martin. I'm used to not getting replies on Ancestry, so it is no surprise, but I really just wanted confirmation of the My heritage system, so thanks again for that,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire