Author Topic: My Heritage DNA contacts  (Read 1273 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage DNA contacts
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 July 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that some of my own MyHeritage matches have replied to my emails, and others haven't, so the system works if people are willing to use it and to be contacted. I'm sure many people worry that a hitherto unknown relative suddenly getting in touch might be an axe murderer or paedophile or something else undesirable.

Most of the replies I've had have been from relatives on my father's side of the family. The plus point there is that I come from a small fishing village where all the old families are pretty well related to some degree, and I wrote a book about the place in the 1980s so my name is quite well-known and I've recognised who some of my matches are, and been able to quote details of their families to prove my credentials. One woman was the daughter of a 2nd cousin I used to exchange emails with every week, and of course she realised right away who I was and was very friendly. On the other hand, the grandson of a long-lost uncle of mine has ignored my friendly overtures.

Talking of not knowing who or what your distant cousin might be, I am now the proud relative of a Canadian lady who is a "steeped tea consultant". That would have been a great topic for the old BBC TV show "What's My Line?" I can just imagine the appropriate gestures. I always thought steeping was something you did with heavily soiled garments.

Harry